The Daily Thoughts Of A Music Education Major

The best and worst major in the world

17

Being a music education major, people sometimes do not take us seriously. "Oh, music? That's not going to get you anywhere." That is typically what I hear every time I tell someone I am a music education major. It can get really frustrating, but I love my degree no matter what they say. Although I love my degree, it has its moments where I feel like I'm going to go insane. Maybe you will feel the same!

1. "Wait...I have a lesson today!"

Oh, wonderful. It is that time of the week again. Lessons are the best time to truly improve upon your sight-reading skills, since most weeks you really did not have the time to practice that much. It's OK. Just take a deep breath and hope your teacher doesn't notice the tears rolling down your face as they ask you to play this weeks etude.

2. "OMG! Why are we playing this piece?"

I think one of the best parts about being in music school is the ensemble opportunities we have. Although these opportunities are wonderful and a lot of fun, there are sometimes were the repertoire isn't so hot. Sometimes its so difficult your fingers want to bleed while other times its so easy you remember playing it in high school.

3. "Wait... My reed just cracked."

Oh, the lovely topic of reeds. Whether you are a double reed or just a single reed, the cracking of reeds is always an issue. The best part about it is that your best reed always loves to crack right before your recital, big concert, performance in an area or anything of that stature.

4. "Why am I singing in integers?"

Okay...let us take a second to talk about the fact that integers get introduced to us through music. I do not know who thought it was a good idea to sing in numbers, but I can tell you it is not OK. I do not appreciate this mastermind. Sorry not sorry.

5. "OK, but really, why are there no practice rooms?!"

This is honestly the worst, especially during jury season. There are always those people that put their instruments in a practice room at 8 a.m. and leave them there until 10 p.m. but only practice for like an hour that whole day. It is really frustrating when you finally have the motivation to practice yet cannot find an empty room.

6. "OK, but like, The Lounge is not a practice room!"

You have finally accepted the fact that there are no practice rooms, so you take the time to sit in the lounge and work on other homework. Then, walks in someone singing their jury piece while you were just forced to hold off on your practicing. The lounge is not a practice room! I am trying to do other work, thank you!

7. "Wait..All of my required classes are at 8 a.m.?"

The absolute worst part about being a music major is that there is almost no way to get around having 8 a.m.s every single day for at least a semester. Sure, high school you are up by 6am but once you hit college, 8ams feel like death.

8. "Why am I taking 22 credits...Oh wait...ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL REQUIRED."

The other really annoying part about our major is that we always end up with a million credits. This is because all of our ensembles are 1 credit and then you add in the Gen Eds, the theory classes, the piano classes, lessons... it ends up being a lot!

9. "Why do I music?"

In between all the ensembles, the required concerts, the lessons, the theory classes, and everything else we do, its easy to question why we are even in this degree in the first place. Just remember you are here for a reason don't doubt your passion!

10. "Sure I will go out tonight...oh wait.. I HAVE TO PRACTICE"

This is pretty self explanatory. There is too much work to be done to go out on a Thursday night with your friends from other majors. Sometimes we do just say screw it and go but it's not the best habit.

11. "NOOO ITS LESSON TIME AGAIN"

Now we have come full circle. Another week has passed and you forgot to practice that etude again. Well there is always next week!