Cuban Cousins Are Crazy People

Cuban Cousins Are Crazy People

They are crazy at parties and you love them like crazy.

243
Cuban Cousins Are Crazy People
Jonathan Smith

Being Cuban American is an aspect about myself that I take great pride in. I am beyond proud of my grandparents who left their lives in Cuba to come to America. On their journey, they left behind everything they ever knew or owned, escaped tyranny, and legally and gratefully took on a role as Cuban Americans. As Cuban Americans, they have worked hard every day for bigger and brighter futures in this great nation.

Since then, my Cuban family has expanded beyond a countable measure. I have cousins upon cousins upon cousins that I call family. Whether it is my real blood ‘family’ or my family, we cannot explain how we are family (‘family’). All I know is that they are a part of me, and I am a part of them.

With so many of us, things get a little crazy. And when I say crazy, I mean the second we see each other it is a party. We are a crazy bunch of people, and no matter what the circumstance, we know how to turn a boring beat around and we know how to get everyone on their feet.

Anyone that knows my family can understand this and are probably laughing thinking about our shenanigans. And anyone who doesn’t know us, you are really missing out. My crazy Cuban cousins have mastered the element of spontaneity, living in the moment, and spreading so much joy Buddy the Elf would be jealous. Just give us a time and place and we will make it a fiesta, maybe a little later because you know, Cuban time, but eventually we will get there and make it happen.

I can reminisce about so many times I was with my Cuban family where I was laughing the entire time, and then I start laughing while reminiscing about the funny moments. Like our family trips with my cousins in Miami, or dancing like bosses at family weddings, and our four-hour-long gossip circle time in the kitchen.

Somehow the best memories of our family have always centered around. What can I say? Our bellies are always filled with food, the room is always filled with laughter, and the memories are always filled with love.

I love my crazy family. I have always been an introvert, more of the oddball, the girl who was always playing catch up in growing up. But because of my heritage, and always being always surrounded by such wonderful people, I have embraced my Cuban side more than ever now.

My family’s love is the most genuine love. We would do anything for each other, we are always there for each other, we protect each other, and we love each other stronger and stronger every day. No matter what, I always know I have a multitude of people on my side.

The love and support we share amongst each other can never be broken. We can safely talk about each other to each other. We can go do crazy stuff and try new things, but if anyone is in danger every member of the family is on the scene. A sad day is turned around with tender care, and a happy day is celebrated for months.

We celebrate each other, we embrace each other, we care for each other, and we love each other. That is just what we do.

I am crazy in love with my crazy people. In the words of our true leader, Mr. Worldwide, Mr.305, Pitbull, “Mi Gente”…te quiero mucho.