It's Time To Support Cruelty-Free Cosmetic Brands

Be Cruelty-Free

30

In my quest to become a more ethical consumer, I've decided to do a major overhaul of the makeup, skincare and haircare products I own.

Starting in 2019, I will only purchase cruelty-free, vegan cosmetics.

Whether you're vegan or not, we can all agree testing on animals is inhumane, archaic and unnecessary. However, most people's support ends here.

Why do people continue to support companies with cruel practices?

A lot of it has to do with consumer loyalty. If you've been using the same mascara for years because it's the only one that doesn't smudge, it can be difficult to switch to a new brand.

But is having long lashes worth a defenseless animal being locked in a cage for the entirety of its life?

Laboratories are no place for any animal. According to the Humane Society of the United States, 500,000 animals "suffer and die due to cosmetics testing each year."

Although the FDA doesn't require animal testing for cosmetics, companies still choose to perform skin and eye irritation tests on rabbits without pain relievers. Mice, rats and guinea pigs also have chemicals rubbed onto their skin, and at the end of a test, the animals are killed.

It's time for this to come to an end. With so many amazing, cruelty-free, vegan cosmetics out there, there is no excuse for continuing to support these practices.

Last month, CoverGirl announced it is Leaping Bunny certified by Cruelty-Free International, and its products aren't sold in China. The Chinese government requires animal testing on all cosmetic products imported into the country. If a cosmetic company sells its products in China, it can't be considered cruelty-free. CoverGirl's decision is a huge step forward for the cruelty-free movement.

Other popular, affordable, cruelty-free cosmetic brands include Milani, Wet N Wild, Pixi, and Jordana. Additionally, Pacifica, E.L.F, Kat Von D, and Lime Crime are vegan companies. A more detailed list can be found on the website Cruelty-Free Kitty.

With so many amazing options available, supporting cruelty-free brands has become a breeze.