psychology and philosophy
Religion

Connections Between Philosophy And Psychology Part 2

Studying the details of philosophy and psychology: tree branches of my mind

315
https://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/06/extraordinary_microscope_photo.html

What is Philosophy? Philosophy has many different definitions:

• "The love of wisdom"
  • The study of knowledge
  • Thinking about thinking
  • Ethics: how one should live
  • Metaphysics: What sort of things exist and what are their essential natures?
  • Epistemology: what counts as genuine knowledge?
  • Logic: what are the correct principles of reasoning?
  • Investigation: nature, causes, principles of reality, knowledge, values based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods

Philosophy originated with the Ancient Greeks. Essentially, philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake: arts, sciences and religion.

This chapter is dedicated to the study of philosophy's connection to science: psychology. It is important to note that through considering philosophy, one may not find the meaning of life, the universe, and everything else. Although, I argue with a belief that it is important to examine such questions because "an unexamined life is not worth living." Many students in high schools around the world are takers. They sit in class, absorbing information. When teachers ask questions in class, a chirping of crickets responds through the silence. This is my purpose for researching the philosophical connections to psychology: humans are not thinking.

There are many dangers rising from the pitiful fall of our generation's intelligence. The most important is mental freedom. I believe that in today's society, humans are willingly giving away their freedom of thought. This is dangerous because what humans used to fear - the robbery of freedom, liberty, life, and happiness - they are willingly giving away. Our worry today is not how we will keep our land from being robbed, it is how can we can keep our mental ability to fight for our land when someone says "hand it over." My point is that knowing philosophy has the power to strengthen our minds. Philosophy does this through taking humans who are victims of "sitting on the fence of religious decision" and forcing them to pick a side. It is uncomfortable. Agony and pain will be felt. Although this is because you are trying to comprehend life's biggest questions. Humans must be willing to make the sacrifice for freedom within their mind. If they don't, they are selling their freedom into the hands of slavery.

Philosophy is a broad topic, and the purpose of this article is to dissect the validity of searching and looking for answers on the topic "God." In the book, Mind Of God, the author Dr. Jay Lombard, a neuroscientist, asks the question, "what evolutionary sign drove nature to shape our brains in such a unique and specialized manner that we developed a concept of God?" Through reading this book, I am gathering scientific evidence that a portion of our brain, capable of conceiving a God, is a probable indicator that God exists. Although his nature is not yet universally clear. I do ask the same question that Dr. Jay Lombard asks, "why would our brains evolve to develop a concept of God if he does not exist?" Furthermore, on the questionable topic of evolution, when did it become evolutionarily advantageous for humans to develop a mind that can create? Creation, after all is what makes humans different from dogs. Although, wouldn't it be easier, more advantageous for humans to not have a concept of God at all? Think of all the pain and strife and wars fought over religion. If there is such a God worth studying, I believe this evidence points us to philosophy to answer our question of "who is God?" and our ultimate question of, "why do I exist?"

Tune in next week for the third part of this series.