Confessions From a Non-Morning Person

Confessions From a Non-Morning Person

I'm so sorry

14
Confessions From a Non-Morning Person
Camden

Ahhhhh mornings...full of gentle sun rays piercing through the blinds, freshly brewed coffee resting peacefully in a cozy mug, birds chirping on branches of a tree just outside the window. Yeah, mornings seem beautifully dreamy. I say seem because when morning comes I'm not awake or cheerful enough to enjoy these sweet glimpses of glory. Instead, my eyes are crusty with exhaust as I wrestle with myself to keep them open thus causing me to quickly resent the painfully bright stream of sunlight blasting through my window. I stumble out of bed and quietly grunt with every step. The smell of coffee reminds me it's morning, making me resent the beverage even more. And the birds outside become a nuisance rather than a melody. You may think I'm a horribly cynical, pessimistic, and unhappy person now, but I'm just being real. Mornings are not my favorite. I love the idea of mornings and the productivity they bring from waking up early, but when I put it into practice it quickly becomes my enemy.

For those whose mornings are pure bliss and would wake up at 6am every day, here is what you need to know about those of us whose "early mornings" are 10am.

We are actually very nice people...just not in the morning.

Our delirious state is not an accurate representation of our personalities. Please know that we are not fully functioning or aware of who we are until about noon each day.

When we don't respond to your "good morning", it's not a personal attack.

We just genuinely don't believe your statement because mornings are never good. We don't want to state something we don't fully believe in at that moment. It also takes a great deal of effort to form words and articulate them.

Not all people who hate mornings are night owls.

A lot of times people assume one has to be a morning person and not a night owl or vice versa. But this sometimes isn't the case. There are still non-morning people who don't regularly stay up into the wee hours of the night. It just means they might really like their sleep.

We still love breakfast, but at a reasonable hour.

Don't hesitate to ask us to grab breakfast with you. We still want to spend time with you and eat really good food, but we will not come if you plan it to be at a God-forsaken hour. 9:30am is a reasonably early hour for people like us.

All that to say, I am being a tad dramatic. Of course this is not the case for all non-morning people and my examples are bit exaggerated, but you get the point.

So, next time you wake up with giddy excitement for the day and see your roommate trudging out of bed, offer them some grace because they're still figuring out their full name.