5 Communication Classes To Take At Wake This Fall

With registration right around the corner, here are some teachers and professors for you to take

167
Wikimiedia commons

Registration is coming up this week! If you're a Demon Deac looking for some fun, engaging Communication classes, you've come to the right place. I'm only going to talk about the classes that I've taken so by no means are these the ~only~ cool classes, they're just the coolest classes and teachers that I've taken! The professors in Wake's Communication department are insanely qualified so you really can't go wrong.

1. COM 309- Visual Storytelling

When I took this class it was taught by a different professor, Director Peter Gilbert. Gilbert is an award-winning director who has done documentaries like Hoop Dreams (1994). No better way to learn how to visually represent a story than a director himself! This class is really engaging and relies a lot on discussion but there isn't a ton of homework and you get to make your own videos!

2. COM 330 Communication and Conflict

So, I actually haven't taken this course but it's taught by Professor Rogan who is a real FBI agent! I am taking his class Terror Hostage Negotiation right now, and if this class is any indication, COM 330 is going to be very fun and informative. It's a way to understand international conflicts without getting into the nitty gritty of it!

3. COM 344 Conspiracy Theories in American Discourse

This class is the coolest. When I took it, it was only offered at 8 am (which was brutal) but there was no attendance policy! With that being said, even at the early time, I only missed one class because it was so cool. It's taught by Dr. Atchison who might be the smartest man I've ever met! He's super engaging, funny and organized! The class is really fair- it's only hard if you don't go to class- and there's only two papers for the entire semester.

4. COM 616 Screenwriting

I took this class as a 2 hour once-a-week course with Professor Holton but now it's offered with different professors and it's three days/week. If they follow a similar curriculum however, this class is going to be awesome! Basically you spend all semester writing pages of a movie script! You make it up from scratch and then the class critiques your pages so by the end of the semester you have a partially complete movie script!

5. COM 719 Theory and Research Design in Communication

So, again, I've never taken this course but the teacher Dr. Krcmar is one of the best teachers I've ever had. Not only is she insanely intelligent but she is also very cool! Her class is largely discussion-based typically and although she is a tough grader, she is also very fair.