Coming Out

5 Reasons ‘Coming Out’ Should No Longer Exist Because It Only Divides Us

It could be the cause of a lot of problems.

39
https://unsplash.com/photos/ZPebSsjilFw

Imagine a world where 'coming out' didn't exist.

It's no secret that our generation has had a lot of controversy over gender and sexuality. If we lived in a world where everyone was accepting of all kind of love, we could solve a lot of problems. Although it's becoming more socially accepted, there are many qualms that come with being homosexual. Maybe a lot of these problems stem from the stress of announcing to the world their 'secret'. But why did it have to feel like a secret in the first place?

One of our biggest mistakes is believing that societies approval can feel more important than our own. Our generation is learning to take our power back from others and finally feel confident in ourselves. If we eliminated the concept of 'coming out', it would feel a lot easier for people of the LGBTQ community to freely be who they are.

​ 1. 'Coming out' builds unnecessary pressure.

https://unsplash.com/photos/W-wGFm54R-k

It's scary enough to begin to experience your own sexuality and learn about what you like and don't like. Imagine how scary it must feel to have to also announce it to the world. That type of vulnerable publicity adds so much extra stress to something that should be personal. There is no 'right time' to talk to your family about your sex life, so deciding when and how you're going to do it may seem impossible.

2. It allows other opinions to matter.

https://unsplash.com/photos/nwWUBsW6ud4

When you tell someone that personal information about yourself and are in a vulnerable position with them, you can feel like your hanging out on a ledge waiting for their response. Whether they jump with joy or sob tears of resentment, you are waiting for their response. The problem with this is that no one needs to give input on your decision to love who you want, so there is no need to go out of your way to tell them.

3. It’s no one’s business.

https://unsplash.com/photos/jtTqIwvGiUg

Unless someone is interested in you specifically, there is no reason for them to know what you're into. In other words, the only person who needs to be told about your sexuality is potential partners. Anyone else can figure it out for themselves! When you start going out on dates or make out at a bar with someone of the same sex, everyone will get the idea. If it is about a more serious relationship and you want your family to know, just bring them home!

4. It is a divide between what is considered “normal."

https://unsplash.com/photos/53ouhY5koKY

Heterosexual people never feel the need to 'come out'- so why should homosexuals? This whole concept widely separates homosexual people from heterosexual. If one group of people must publicly announce their sexuality, then why shouldn't the other?

5. It may hold you back from living your life.

https://unsplash.com/photos/3zgllN5P7Mc

If you are gay and have not yet told your friends or family about your new relationship because you haven't 'come out' yet, it can put a damper on your relationship. If you found someone so special to you that you want to be with them and introduce them to your family, they should be excited to meet whoever that is-without any disclaimers. Do not hold out on your life because you haven't gotten the chance to tell other people what you're doing yet. You don't have to wait for their approval if you feel ready. Live your life how you want, those who love you will be happy you did.