Why College Students Hate Snow Days
Weather

5 Reasons Snow In November Is The Biggest Inconvenience For College Students

The weather app can only do so much, and for the busy college student, many of us have more important things to worry about than constantly checking the weather updates.

83
Snow outside

Its only November and just as new students have become adjusted to college life, we already have to learn how to deal with trekking across campuses in the cold snow and getting to class on time with the unpredictable buses.

1. No one is prepared

As I was on my way to my 8:10 a.m. class, it was cold outside but it was not snowing. Like most people, I only had my jacket and sneakers. It was only after the class that it started snowing and was building up fast. The weather app can only do so much, and for the busy college student, many of us have more important things to worry about than constantly checking the weather updates.

2. It makes the arrival time of the buses unpredictable

Because of the snow, the buses need to drive slower to ensure the safety of the students. This results in groups of people waiting for hours on end in the cold snow to get to their class or back to their dorm. The app becomes useless because it says the bus is arriving in 10 minutes, for the past hour. I had to wait at the bus stop for half an hour, while the entire time the app said the bus was arriving in 11 minutes.

3. Wearing the wrong shoes and stepping in a puddle

We have all done this before and nobody likes the feeling of wearing wet socks inside your shoes, especially when you don't have time to go back to your dorm and get new ones.

4.Taking the trouble to get to class, and then finding out it's canceled

There have been many situations where the instructor posts only minutes in advance of a class cancellation with the snow, but it's too cold to have our bare hands out in the cold to constantly check our phones about a class.

5. Not packing enough warm clothes

Dorms are pretty small, and moving from a big house to a dorm, we have to be sure to bring the necessities. Most people mainly bring the things they think they need for the season, or what they need for a few weeks at a time. There is not really enough room in a dorm to bring more than that.

* * *

Don't get me wrong, I love a good December snowfall, but there's a time and place for everything, and November is the wrong season for snow.