7 Trader Joe's Brands College Students Love
Food Drink

7 Trader Joe’s Essentials Any Self-Respecting College Kid Throws In Their Cart Every Single Trip

It's only about 10 minutes from campus, and the prices are very reasonable.

536
View of a Trader Joe's store

If you're like me and you live off-campus without a meal plan you're now faced with the task of buying your own groceries for the first time. It can be daunting walking into a grocery store knowing that what you buy is what you'll be eating for the next few weeks. So how do you avoid the junk food while eating food that keeps you full and energized?

My favorite place to shop is the Trader Joe's on Route 1. It's only about 10 minutes from campus, and the prices are very reasonable. I've found that there are certain products that I now buy every week which are without a doubt my Trader Joe's essentials!

1. Frozen Organic Brown Rice

This product is very convenient, and the box includes six servings. You don't have to worry about cooking the rice, just pop it in the microwave and add some chicken and veggies, and you have a healthy lunch or dinner!

2. ONE Birthday Cake Bars

These protein bars are so delicious and they only have 1g of sugar! I freeze them and eat them for breakfast when I'm rushing to get to class.

3. Trader Joe's San Soyaki Sauce

This sauce will make your healthy meal taste like your favorite Chinese takeout. It's great to drizzle over some chicken and broccoli which will make your dinner go from drab to delicious!

4. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Chips and dip is a great snack that takes almost no time at all to put together, and it can be healthy as long as you chose the right dip. Hummus is low in calories and very filling, so you know you won't get hungry later.

5. Salted Tortilla Chips

Trader Joe's tortilla chips are only 130 calories per serving, and you can dip them in hummus, salsa, or any other dip you like. However, it is very easy to eat too many in one sitting, so I recommend taking out one or two servings and keeping it in a separate bag.

6. Grilled Chicken Strips

This chicken is so easy to prepare, and it's a great way to add protein to your meal. You can heat it up in the microwave or sauté it with a vegetable!

7. Blood Orange Seltzer

Seltzer is an excellent alternative to soda, and this seltzer only has 15 calories per can. Trader Joe's also sells a Lemon and Ginger flavor and a Cranberry and Lime Juice flavor!