To My College Roommates

To My College Roommates

Alexa, play I'll Be There by Jess Glynne

253
To My College Roommates

2A,

My heart is so full at the very mention of our little home on North 15th Street. I was always told I would make lifelong friends in college, but never expected the first girls I met on campus would result in the family we've created in a place I now consider home. I could never thank you enough for making Marquette the best place in the world these past three years, but with just one year left and huge amounts of gratitude towards each of you, here's my attempt at trying.

To the girls who find dance parties as important as I do, who understand it's crucial to pack a granola bar wherever we go so I don't get hangry, who know I won't actually get up and workout before an 8am no matter how many times I say I will. To the girls who say yes to every concert, who consider going to Target as spending quality time together, who listen to my constant boy talk, and who decorate the apartment for any and all holidays. To the ones who know to leave me alone if they hear sad country music blasting from my shower, who remind me to soften my RBF so people don't think I'm judging them, who are just as happy at bars as they are watching documentaries together on the weekends, and who know me better than I know myself sometimes. To the wildest, smartest, hottest, hard-working group of girls ever, thank you.

Thank you understanding my test anxiety and for rubbing my back when I get sick before every exam, thank you for hyping up each achievement I've had these past three years from something as small as getting an A on a quiz to getting offered the summer internship I wanted. Thank you for being my personal doctors and reassuring me that the rash I found on my body in the middle of the night will not kill me and that I should just go to bed. Thank you for holding me after breakups and reminding me of my worth. Thank you for screaming Umbrella by Rihanna while we dance on top of our counters on a Tuesday night just because we can. Thank you for letting me be your bad influence on the weekends and for still getting up early to go to the library with me every Sunday morning. Thank you for coming home with Girl Scout cookies and for always sharing your frozen Thin Mints. Thank you for all the couch moments and lake runs. Most of all, thank you for giving me a team to come home to everyday and for being the best friends I've ever had.

To Gabby,

Our little sophomore year dorm shoe box of a room will always hold a special place in my heart. To the most kindhearted, genuine, yet sarcastic human I've ever known - I just really love you. Thank you for being my rock all of first semester in our dorm when my heart hurt, you will never know how much I needed a roommate like you in a time like that. You picked up my pieces despite your own stress, we decided we would get through it all together, and two years later I'm still thankful for those moments shared. You make everyone feel special, every moment is better just by you being there, and after this summer apart I hope we never live states away again.

To Ally,

The roommate that took everyone by surprise. I never imagined the girl subleasing from Emma and Meghan while they were abroad would turn out to be such an important part of our friend group, but I am grateful you did. Thanks for always reminding me not to take life so seriously, for letting me wear all your clothes, and for laying in bed with me when I cried over finals. You always say living with us changed you for the better, but we all became better people because of you and even though you don't sleep in 2A anymore, I hope you know there's always a place (and plate at dinner) here for you.

To Bailey,

To the girl who would move an entire mountain for someone she cared about - one of the most naturally intelligent, poised, hilarious friends I've ever had. I'm thankful for last semester and how much time we got to spend together, from late nights on the couch watching scary movies to coming home in February after what felt like the worst day of my life to your smiling face perfecting your chocolate chip cookie recipe. I know I've told you this before, but it's impossible to have a bad day around you. Your jokes and laugh are contagious and even on my worst days, you make being in 2A more fun than words in this article could do justice. I'm so beyond proud of you, and I can't wait to watch you grow in law school this year.

To Emma,

Get away from me, I love you. There's so much about you I'm thankful for, most recently includes coming to my rescue when I had car troubles, hanging out with me during almost every work break I've had all summer, and convincing me that Qdoba is not a need, but a want after a night at Caffs. You've been the most patient and understanding friend to me the past three years and despite being two of the most different people on this planet, we have grown the most beautiful friendship. Thank you for always bringing my dramatic head back to reality, for letting me play country music, for not getting mad when I reject your hugs, and for our late night talks that mean everything to me.

To Meghan,

The best part about our friendship is that people get confused when they see us without one another, just two peas in a pod since day one. Not a lot of people get to say that their first college friend is still their best friend three years later, but I have you and I am so lucky. From week long trips to Florida to weekend trips to Minneapolis to five minute trips to Starbucks, thank you. Thank you for always being down for all my wild ideas, for reminding me success comes from hard work, for being happy simply just because I am, and for making life fun whether we're together laying in the same twin bed or 3,000 miles apart.

I read a quote once that said, "You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That's the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place." In less than a year, my heart will be scattered across the country, a piece with each of you forever. No matter where life takes us, no matter what we're doing, I know I'll always think of 2A as a home and I'll look back on these years we spent pushing each other to be the best versions of ourselves, forever grateful that out of sheer coincidence, we ended up at the best place in the world together. We may only have one more physical year left in our apartment, but at the end of the day you're all what makes it a home for me and because of that, 2A will live on forever.