9 More Things You Learn In College When You Do Orientation Leader Training

This is an awesome job.
190

Working for orientation is a university experience unlike any other.

It pushes you to be a better version of yourself, challenges you in various micro tasks daily, and allows you to provide a wonderful beginning to the college experience of so many students. In training alone, these ideas and many others are instilled in you. Your commitment to the university begins the minute you sign on.

1. Your public speaking skills are going to improve greatly.

You’re going to talk to new students all summer! It’s super exciting. You are presenting them with information and answering their questions. Removing the “um” and “like” type of filler words from your vocabulary will not only improve your skills overall, but will also make you seem as more of an authority figure to your new students.

2. Icebreaker games can be really fun.

They don’t have to be weird and awkward! As long as you bring a good attitude to your games, your students will be excited as well. You never know, the person next to them could be their best friend for the rest of their life!

3. Your co-staff can become your new best friends.

These people were all hired because they have similar personalities to you. They work hard, they are ready to learn, and they’re very good at engaging with other people. Get to know them, come to love them, and actually rely on them. They care about you, a lot.

4. This is a team, so act like one.

There is no separation of “my student” vs “your student.” It doesn’t matter who’s on what roster, these are all students looking to join the same community you chose to join. If you’re tired/overwhelmed, ask your co-staff to help you out. Talk to your professional staff/bosses about everything you’re doing, because this isn’t always an easy job.

5. Your new students will recognize you on campus long after orientation ends.

For some students, you’re the first upper classman they’ve met at their new home away from home. They idolize you, and appreciate your honesty and transparency with them. They get excited to see you on campus because they remember how you made them feel, and there’s nothing better than a great mentor.

6. Answer your students' questions honestly, but appropriately.

You’re a resource to your students. You’re the level of authority that they’re comfortable asking their most random questions to. You can tell them about things that happen on a college campus, like alcohol or parties, without losing your professionalism. Don’t tell them how to get fake IDs or drugs or what have you. Tell them about things in an informative way, and always put a positive spin on it.

7. This job is going to push you to become a better version of yourself.

You’re learning about important life skills like communication and respect of others, but you’re also learning so much more than that. And you’re having fun while doing it, and that’s what you’ll remember most.

8. Your school is FULL of opportunity.

It’s so easy to forget this after your first year. There are many resources on campus looking to make you a better person and a better professional. Use them. Use all of them. You’ll appreciate that you did.

9. Have fun. So much fun.

Use the time outside of training to explore the place you’re in. Make memories with the people around you. And take LOTS of pictures. You won’t often get an opportunity as great as this one.