thank you college best friends

To My Closest College Friends, You Deserve The World

We have so many people in our lives that go on about their days without knowing what they mean to us. Let's make sure the special friends you make in college are not some of them.

270
Sarah Richman

Ladies,

It is important to remember that some of us find our friends immediately, like in our freshman dorm immediately, while some of us take a few years to figure out who are the right people to surround us. Friendships in college can be very different than high school. For me, I always thought they would just have to be a little more surface level. College friends may not know every single one of your friends from home, your pets, parents or every room in your house, and they don't share years of memories with you. Though somehow we manage to form these unbelievably close relationships with people that we didn't even know existed a year or two ago.

As many of us do, I had a hard time adjusting to college - it was difficult.

I'm not going to lie. I met tons of people, I made connections with some and didn't with most. I had days feeling as if I would leave college without any real friends, just acquaintances that I'd share memories with on Facebook. I went out with people I didn't know and would continue to do so even though I still felt alone.

It took longer than I would've liked, but eventually, I found my crazy humans.

I found those friends that people talk about, those friends that know you better than you know yourself. I know it sounds like crap, but it's true. Wow, am I thankful! Having good friends in college makes it the experience you have always wanted it to be. From these girls, I have learned that people can truly care about you even if they aren't your technical family. I have learned that you don't need to have known someone for your entire life to feel like you have. I have learned what it means to be a true and real friend. I have learned to put trust in my friends, and I know that when any of us needs someone, we will be there.

I don't know what it is about college, because some of my best friends are still from high school, but there are definitely strong connections to be made here. My advice would be don't make assumptions or judge what these new friendships will be like and take your time. Go out and keep looking. You never know who you will meet and like, and who will bring out the best in you. It may be simple for some people, but friendships haven't always been so simple for me, and finding good friends here has given me a totally different outlook. Yes, it took time, but now it has turned my view of college around. It has made everyday here more fun. Even more important, these ladies made me realize that new forever friends will continue to be made throughout my life, and my heart and friendship is big enough for all of them.

My girls,

You guys deserve the best, and I am beyond lucky that I have found the friends that I have. I hope to see you all get the careers you've worked so hard for and the future that you've dreamt about. From drunken nights to sleepy mornings, to late night talks, to spa nights, to venting sessions, to laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. I am excited for many many more. Thank you for making college the place I want to be and for being the people I want to be around. Or rather, can't stay away from! Here's to Junior year!