Closing The Distance

Closing The Distance

Keeping a long distance relationship strong is no small feat.

15
Closing The Distance
I do not own this picture.

As school starts back up again, many of us find ourselves in long distance relationships.

Not being able to see your significant other for multiple weeks or months can lead to frustration and a loss of passion in the relationship. However, with enough effort, one can greatly reduce these pains. In fact, sometimes the distance can lead to an even stronger bond between the two of you. Here are some ideas to keep the passion going.

Write letters. The most obvious way to stay close in a long distance relationship is to keep in touch. While smart phones help the cause, nothing quite says romance like a letter. It doesn’t necessarily have to be all mushy gushy -- I used to write letters to my boyfriend about how bored I was in a lecture -- but being surprised with a handwritten letter from your love is an easy way to brighten up any day.

Little reminders. With thousands of things to encounter a day, at least one of them is bound to remind you of your significant other. When you walk by a store that is playing your significant other’s favorite song, send him or her a quick text about it. By telling each other these little things, your loved one will always know when they’re on your mind. It’s sure to produce a smile and a feeling of closeness between you two.       

Make each other playlists. Music has always had a way of connecting people. Create a CD or Spotify playlist for your significant other. The songs can include your favorites, your significant other’s favorites, and those that make you think of each other. They can listen to it when they’re lonely, and the songs will forever remind them of you.      

Plan your next visit. Nothing is worse than being apart with no end in sight. Make sure to plan your next meet-up as soon as you are able. This will give you a countdown to see each other to keep things from feeling hopeless. No matter how long you have to be away from each other, knowing exactly when you’ll be together again will help ease the pain.     

Live in the moment. The most important key to being in a long distance relationship is not missing out on local life. Don’t lose yourself in the distance. Enjoy your friends, go out, and love the life you have away from your partner. Like they say, time flies when you’re having fun, so call your friend and make some plans -- you’ll never get this time in college back.      

It’s easy to see why people doubt the staying power of long distance relationships, as the time apart can really put a damper on being in love. However, it can also give you a great amount of appreciation for each other’s company. You will cherish your time together more than ever before, and you will learn how to be in love and show your love from afar. It’s not easy, but with the right person and the right amount of effort, distance can truly make the heart grow fonder.