A Closer Look At 'Onion The Man'

A Closer Look At 'Onion The Man'

"Officially, for the record, I LOVE YOU Keenan! You're my favorite guitar player in the world and thank you, bless your heart, love you," - Logan

476
A Closer Look At 'Onion The Man'
Ashley McMurray

The first time I watched Onion The Man perform at the Lorax Manner, I was blown away by their performance. I've wanted to write an article on them ever since that performance, so it was only a matter of time before it happened. After spending some more time with these lovely men, it makes a lot of sense why I was so drawn to them.

They're incredibly fun people who enjoy their music in a way different than most bands. They're very serious about their art, but they also don't take it too seriously at the same time. The four members of Onion The Man are Keenan, Logan, Miles, and Ian.

"Officially, for the record, I LOVE YOU, Keenan! You're my favorite guitar player in the world and thank you, bless your heart, love you," - Logan

*declaration of love between all band members*

"Hey Ian, is there anyone you want to attest your love to?"

"Well... I mean people always say I look like Jesus Christ, so I guess I should shout out my love to him because he was a really great preacher of love and maybe some sh*t has happened between now and then, but overall I think Jesus was a pretty good dude."

"Working with Keenan musically has been amazing because he has perfect pitch. He can pull notes out of thin air and have them be perfectly in tune. Like he can say 'oh the hum of that bus driving by is an F' and then he plays an F and I'm always blown away by how accurate he is EVERY TIME. Keenan can pull out frequencies from thin air!" - Ian

*The band and I spend several minutes discussing the importance of keeping your feet hidden under the covers while we sleep while Logan protests claiming that sleeping with your feet exposed is the best way to live*

"People always tell me I look like Jesus Christ and I always respond with 'yeah man!' and then they tell me I would make a GREAT Jesus Christ Superstar and I've never seen that. I can sing," - Ian

"Oh my God yeah I was gonna say you could totally do that! You can sing and you ALREADY look like Jesus!" - Logan

"People always freak out when they see me at bars and scream 'YOU'D BE A GREAT JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR!!!' Maybe one day...," - Ian

"In case you can't tell, Keenan CLEARLY does not own any pairs of overalls..." - Logan

"I think one of my favorite things is a really cozy blanket. Being warm, but NOT hot. Just comfortable and warm. But like the type of warm where you feel like you're trapped in your bed in the morning and you just can't get up because you're too warm and comfortable, " - Logan

"I call that the double down. It's when you have two down blankets on yourself and you're just the absolute coziest," - Ian

*Ian gets distracted by random man and screams 'I LOVE YOU!!!'*

"I think one of my favorite things is sound. Like everything is music," - Ian

Unfortunately, Miles left before my interview with the band so all I have are quality low light photographs of him with no quotes (trust me, I'm as saddened by this as you are).

After watching Onion the Man perform a few times, I noticed Logan seems to really like overalls so I discovered that Logan owns two pairs of overalls that he keeps incredibly clean. "Overalls are so comfy like I don't even need underwear when I wear them which is a major bonus. And a major reason to keep them incredibly clean."

*The band and I spend five minutes trying to figure out new overall designs so pooping in them is more convenient*

"One of the best parts about our love for music is we don't know how to explain it in any set words. We always have trouble defining why we like music. Like sometimes we say it's because we dance or it's loud or it's fun or it's this or that. Really, it's just sound that creates emotion and can affect us all in differing ways," - Keenan

"Keenan and I were jamming last night and I just randomly started clicking my tongue and Keenan commented on how cool it sounded, so we started counting that way for our jam sessions so I was just clicking my tongue and jamming," - Ian

"Logan! I love you with my whole heart... deeply," - Keenan