Christianity is not Under Attack in America

The myth of the War on Christianity in America

501

I am gonna say this once: Christians are neither oppressed nor are they a minority in America. Any of you who think otherwise either has no idea what you are talking about or you are lying to yourself and others.

"But Juan," I hear them typing. "We are no longer allowed in mainstream society and schools because *insert bullshit here*. I say bullshit because that is what it is. Bullshit. And I am gonna explain why.

Let me start off with the whole school debacle. Many Christians believe that they are under attack because they can no longer pray in schools. Let me be the first to tell you that that is 100% FALSE. You can pray in any and all schools in America. The reason people think otherwise is because of Engel v. Vitale. On June 25, 1962, the United States Supreme Court decided in the Engel v. Vitale case that a prayer approved by the New York Board of Regents for use in schools violated the First Amendment because it represented establishment of religion. Students are free to pray as they see fit. It is just that faculty and staff cannot lead a prayer session of any sort with students.

Another thing is that because of a rise in Atheism in America, many Christians take that as their sudden downfall and their loss against secularism. This narrative is simply not the case, however. About half of Americans still believe in God. So there is no war against Christianity here in America. It is just a false narrative designed to scare Christians into thinking their way of life is under attack.

In conclusion, I leave you all with a quote from beloved comedian Jon Stewart: “Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively.”

Same here, Jon. Same here.