Being Christian and Thinking About Abortion

Here's The Problem With Being A Christian And Supporting Abortion

Supporting pro-choice is like saying God made a mistake and you have to correct it.

20
Photo by Allen Taylor on Unsplash

I came across an article today titled "I'm A Pro-Choice Christian, Because I Believe In A Mother's Right To Life, Too." Not wanting to jump to any conclusions too soon, I gave it a read. The author was explaining why she supports the pro-choice side.

These are her reasons:

"Fetuses are not capable of feeling pain until 24 weeks."
(She did not cite/hyperlink where she got her info and only said "According to neurologists..." so I am not sure of the accuracy of this "fact".) I actually deconstructed this "fact" in this article, and I hyperlinked the source of the information.

"Late-term abortions are incredibly rare -- and only occur in dire circumstances."
She gave the number of 1.3% of abortions per year. See this video.

"Unwanted pregnancies have more negative effects on a woman's health, particularly her mental health than abortions do."
I deconstruct this myth in this article. The opposite proves to be true.

"A mother should have the final say when it comes to her child's life -- or the loss of it. As I stated before, most mothers who have abortions were unprepared to become pregnant and had circumstances that would have harmed the lives of the child or abnormalities that would lead to its early death anyway. In these circumstances, abortion is the safest option for both the mother and the child."

"It is also important to note that many pregnancies end before a woman even knows she is pregnant -- as many as 50 to 75 percent. 21.3 percent of pregnancies end in the fifth week, just after a woman is able to get a positive result on a pregnancy test. No one mourns the life of these fetuses, because they are not alive yet -- they are merely a clump of cells with potential, the same as any lone egg or sperm cell in any human's body. No one wants to kill unborn children, and pro-choice activists are not advocating for terminating lives. They are advocating for saving the lives of pregnant women who cannot survive a pregnancy."

Before I get into why I question anyone who says they are a Christian yet supports abortion, I want to respond to a few of her points. She stated that late-term abortions are incredibly rare and only occur in dire circumstances. This was beside the point of the article. The article was not talking about late-term abortions, but about pro-choice in general. As far as mental health goes, it's proven (see the article linked above) that women who undergo abortions do suffer from mental health issues as well as physical problems.

I want to address the double standard in play here in the last quote. She said that many pregnancies end before a woman even knows she is pregnant. Because of this, no one mourns the loss of the fetuses because they are not alive--they are "merely a clump of cells with potential." She ends by saying that "pro-choice activists are not advocating for killing unborn children or terminating lives." (Note that here she called the fetus a "child" and a "life"). If it's true that leftists truly believe that this child is merely a clump of cells, they should not be able to sympathize with women who suffer the pain of miscarriages, but I find they often do take miscarriages of wanted pregnancies seriously. I will get into the "saving the lives of pregnant women" part in the next paragraph.

People are using the case of the (very small) minority to justify the case of the majority. Approximately 881,000 abortions took place in the United States in 2017. The large majority of these unborn babies were not high-risk pregnancies (3% were for fetal health problems and 4% were for physical health problems) or children who had the possibility of disability, or even babies conceived by rape (<%0.5). The top reasons were "not ready for a child," "can't afford a baby" and "done having children." Another interesting thing to note is that in 2015, unmarried women accounted for 86% of all abortions. Also in that year, 35% of women who had abortions had previously had one or two abortions in the past. I'll let you come to your own conclusions regarding those facts.

So where do Christianity and God come into play here? From a Christian worldview, in the end, God should have the final say when it comes to the child's life or loss of it, not the mother. He has given both lives and is the only one with the right to take it. I seriously question if you can be a pro-choice Christian, especially when it comes to the general debate of pro-life vs. pro-choice. Being pro-choice is like saying that God made a mistake, so you are now going to take matters into your own hands. Most Christians believe that God is perfect and does not make mistakes. But, when it comes to abortion, they seem to forget Jeremiah 1:5--God has foreknowledge and gives people, even those not born yet, a purpose. This is not to say that we should not take action in making life choices. God gives us free will. People want to push the argument that they have free will (which is true) and that they also do not have the right to take free will away from others. If you live with the mindset that you should not tamper with the "free will" of others or that you have unlimited and justified free will, you must also be okay with the Holocaust, racism, and school shootings. All of those are acts of "free will." (I won't get into the free will of the unborn child since many people do not believe a fetus is a human being). We have free will but must also have a standard of morality.

TLDR: Stop using minority situations to justify majority situations. Supporting pro-choice is like saying God made a mistake and you have to correct it. Yes, everyone has free will, but Christians (and even non-Christians) should have a standard of morality.