Chill Out, America

Chill Out, America, Trying To Change Each Others' Minds Is A TOTAL Waste Of Time

We focus on so many things that aren't important.

151
Donald Trump

In our political climate, people are becoming increasingly more divided. Partisan issues that shouldn't have a place in the personal lives of many somehow squeeze their way into generalizations, stigmas, and judgments. It is okay to disagree on issues. Only in a perfect world would it be possible for everyone to think the same way. Even then, society would fall apart simply from the lack of criticism. We, as a society, need criticism to bring up new ideas for improvement, innovate on our current state, and provide a higher standard of living for ourselves and our peers.

It is important that the public stay well informed about issues that are circulating our political system during this time: election season. It is crucial to choose a platform that most directly reflects your position and ideals not based on hot takes that encourages toxic partisanship, but rather on educated research about issues. Listening to the information that the opposition distributes is one part of making sure that people formulate an educated opinion.

Making sure that a news outlet is reliable, and not partisan, when initially finding facts about a hot topic is another way that one can make a more educated opinion. The assumption that a news outlet is partisan just because someone said so is an easy way out. Therefore, do your own research, and formulate your own opinion. It sounds simple, but because everything is so divided, and the role that the media plays in the conveying of basic information is being questioned, there are parties from across the political spectrum that consistently try to degrade positions that aren't their own. It is akin to trying to make an important decision with the angel and the devil on your shoulder, whispering biased thoughts into your ears.

People, especially young people, get most of their information from social media, a tool for instigating arguments and a hub for false rumors to spread. It is easy to increase partisanship when you only listen to one side of the story. Objectively, people must remember to look at the bigger picture, the surrounding elements, as well as the conditions under which a decision or policy has be implemented or made.

The gap between the two major political parties in Congress is growing rapidly, accelerating cancel culture as well as encouraging hostile behavior from one platform to another. In the past, members of Congress would fight about their arguments on the floor, but in modern times, we often see that politicians and elected representatives cannot even be seen with their peers that stand on the other side of the aisle, as it affects their supporters and brings up questions as to their loyalty to the platform.

Something that people, even the people in Congress, forget is that there comes a point at which you must AGREE TO DISAGREE. Studies have shown that it is extremely difficult to change someone's political opinion, often because it is rooted in their core beliefs. The ability to agree to disagree creates a civil society, a society that prevents a "Lord of the Flies" atmosphere where we are consistently at each other's throats. In modern times, we often see that opponents are demonized in order to bring people to their side of the aisle. The willingness of people in both government and the general public to compromise has decreased significantly, and although it is okay to disagree about topics, it is not okay to let it get so out of control so as to create a society rooted in disorder and hostility.