The Death Of Childish Gambino And Rebirth Of Donald Glover

Why Childish Gambino is retiring his alter ego, and continuing his career under his real name Donald Glover.

2508
demonmagazine.com

If you are unfamiliar with Donald Glover he is an American actor, rapper, and songwriter.

Donald Glover got his start at a very early age gaining attention for his work with Derrick Comedy while a student at NYU and, with the help of Tina Fey, got him hired at the age of 23 to become a writer for the NBC sitcom "30 Rock."

Glover’s most recent project is his multi-award winning show, “Atlanta,” which has won him a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series, and Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series.

On top of being a television star, Glover has also been in several blockbuster movies including “Magic Mike XXL,” “The Martian,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” has been cast as the voice of Simba in the upcoming remake of “The Lion King,” and cast as Lando Calrissian in the new Star Wars “Han Solo: A Star Wars Story.”

Donald Glover is better known for is his alias and stage name, Childish Gambino.

Glover signed to Glassnot Records in 2011 and put out his first album, "Camp," later that year. After creating multiple hit albums and performing as Childish Gambino for so many years, he decided to officially put an end to his alias and continue his artistic career under his legal name.

Proceeding his latest music project, “Awaken My Love!” Glover has announced that it will be the last we will hear from his alter ego. Glover says that it is no longer “necessary" that he performs under this name. At a concert in New York Donald Glover did a surprise performance, and one of the only concerts he’s done in 2017, where he said, “I’ll see you for the last Gambino album,” at the end of his performance.

Is the death of Childish Gambino simply a reinvention of his always changing artistry, or is it the retirement of his alter ego a result of Glovers growing confidence in his artistic pursuit?

Glover seems to have no limitations in any creative expression.

And after his critically acclaimed TV show, “Atlanta,” in which Glover starred, directed, and produced, one would think that he has gained a lot of confidence. After taking an extremely creative risk on “Atlanta” and it being so successful, Glover is now fearless in his artistic pursuits, and this string of success likely contributed to his decision to end Childish Gambino and focus solely on acting, directing, and writing.

Glover has shown with his announced retirement from hip-hop, that he doesn't need music to stay relevant in pop culture. He has proven not only that he can evolve but that he holds a very advanced self-perspective.

In an interview he did at a red carpet event for his show, “Atlanta,” he explained why he was retiring his alias “Childish Gambino,” by saying, “I believe in endings, people are really scared of death, I am not afraid of that shit, that's part of life that's part of everything.”

By this, he explains how he feels that “Childish Gambino” has served its purpose and wants to end it before it becomes stale to him and his fans. Glover elaborated more on this by stating, “You can only go so far into pop [music] before you become pop.”

Glover seems content and at peace to finish his music career and has revealed that his next album will be his last. Will the end of “Childish Gambino” serve Glover's future projects? Only time will tell, and Glover has not much of it, as he has recently started filming for season 2 of “Atlanta”, and has other projects that he wants to see finalized including an animated series on FX forthe recent Marvel film, “Dead Pool.”

Glover has realized his potential and his capability to do anything he directs his focus towards.