12 Cheap And Easy Recipes For College Students

12 ways to make sure you don't starve at college

Simple and inexpensive recipes every student can make

99

Plan ahead so you won't go hungry when your flex dollars run out or you're low on cash. With a few skills anyone can master, you can keep yourself (and maybe a lucky friend or two) happy and fed.

Scrambled eggs

Eggs are the glue that holds breakfast together. Learn how to make eggs multiple ways. Scrambled is the easiest to master and the most flexible to go with a variety of dishes, any time of day or night.

Grilled cheese

Make a grilled cheese--with real butter!

Pasta

Cook good pasta every time. Once you can make pasta, you can add sauces and seasonings to make a great meal. One of the easiest pasta dishes is spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flake. So simple, but so delicious!

Basic cheese sauce

With an easy cheese sauce recipe, you can make mac and cheese, pour the cheddary goodness over broccoli or other veg, make nachos, drizzle over french fries, or top a stuffed baked potato. Having this skill in your kitchen repertoire will make you very popular. Note that you can omit the mustard powder from this recipe (it simply adds depth to the flavor). You also can add flavors to this like a sprinkle of cayenne or some diced jalapenos.

Stir fry

If you can stir fry, you can make dozens of different dishes. Stir fry can be both cheap and nutritious!

Ramen

Know how to hack your ramen noodles to stretch your budget and make them more nutritious and filling.

Basic French toast

If you have stale bread, an egg, and some milk you can make french toast!

Rice and quinoa

You can make almost anything from either of these delicious and healthy grains. You can also make ahead and store in the fridge for multiple meals over the course of a week.

Dried beans

Dried beans are cheap, healthy, filling, and can be stretched a long way. A pot (or crock pot) of beans can be used to make beans and rice, beans and cornbread, chili, bean soup, hummus, refried beans, or added to entrees or side dishes.

Salads

Become a master at making salads. With a few simple techniques, you can make fresh salads that will last you days.

Muffins

With one simple recipe, you can make endless varieties of muffins. This is a great way to use fruit that is getting old, that last handful of chocolate chips, or that last lonely nub of cheese in the refrigerator.

Marry me chicken

You can't get more simple or classic than roasted chicken. This recipe is known to get a commitment out of your partner (thus the name). If there are any leftovers, they can be used to make dumplings, chicken salad, or burritos later in the week.