I'm Almost A Junior In College And I Just Changed My Major For The 8th Time

Graduating in 4 years is overrated anyways, right?

539
Abbey Marzen

Going into college, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

I entered as a Political Science major. I was POSITIVE that I would stick with this, and scoffed when anyone asked if I was planning on changing it. This was, at least, until I sat in my first political science class and realized that I wanted to stab my eyes out with forks before the class was over.

So then...

I changed it to International Affairs, then back to Political Science, then to English, then to Business Management, then to Marketing, then to Philosophy, then to Human Services, and now, I am an English major, once again.

You might look at this list and think that I'm absolutely insane.

I could've probably graduated on a 4 year track if I had stuck with Political Science. I'd be halfway done. But...what would be the fun in that?

College is all about second guessing yourself. This proved to be the most important lesson that came from all of this. You might think you know exactly what you want to do, but your college years are all about finding yourself.

I found a love in writing and reading that cannot be matched by any other.

At first, pursuing English seemed almost silly. I had no idea what I'd do with an English major. To be honest, I have an idea, but I'm still not 100% sure.

What I found is that it is pointless to stick with a major that makes you miserable. I plan on taking my English major to law school with me, and maybe even writing a novel or two out of it. Or who knows? Maybe I'll start a publishing company. Or teach high school literature. The possibilities are endless.

In the end, if you are pursuing what you actually love and you are passionate about it, you will end up exactly where you're supposed to be.

Your grades will be better than average if you are pursuing a major you actually care about, because you'll be genuinely interested in what you are learning. We've seemed to instill this quality in us that focuses on money, and what we need to major in to make the most money.

College has taught me that money isn't everything. It can't be.

As people, we have to go after our passions. We have to chase our dreams. If life is just about money, then (at least in my eyes), life is pointless. It costs the same to print a $1 bill as it does to print an $100 bill, and for some reason, we let this dictate our life path.

I may have changed my major 8 times. It may take me longer to graduate. No matter what, it pays off as long as I graduate with a degree I'm passionate about.