I Changed Who I Was For A Friendship, And I've Done Nothing But Regret It.

Are you willing to lose everything that makes you who you are?

9
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbDAhbsj6py/?taken-by=jacimariesmith
@jacimariesmith/Instagram

Yes, you read the title correctly. I thought that in order for people to like me, I had to alter who I was. I tried to change all aspects of my life for acceptance. I would wake up an hour earlier than usual to do my makeup for school, I changed my fashion style, I dyed my hair brown because I was the only blonde in my class, and I tried to change my personality to fit those around me. What'd I learn from that? Well, you may get into that friend group you are so obsessed with joining, you may get the guy you're after, you may get exactly what you are trying to, but will you really be happy? No. You'll end up looking back and seeing what you really lost. You'll realize that you lost your spark along the way, and you may even end up with your heart on a platter.

My hope is that you will learn from my mistakes and don't allow yourself to go down the same road as I did.

At one point, I stopped and looked at my life and realized how much I had given up to have the friends that I so desperately wanted. I saw that I had stopped being close to old friends. I saw what an impact it had on my outlook on life. I stopped believing in my own ideas. I saw my attitude change completely. I simply stopped being myself.

Changing who you really are to be accepted into a friendship is frankly pathetic, and it does nothing good for your wellbeing. I'm allowed to say this because I've seen what it can do to your mental health, your friendships, and even your family life. If it doesn't make you happy, don't do it. You can't just change who you are with every new friendship/relationship. It's simply not healthy. I've learned that true friends will be friends with you because of the true you! Being yourself is one of the most freeing things you can do. Once you realize that you are enough and you don't need a title, boyfriend, or even certain "friends," you will be the happiest you've ever been! You have to realize that your happiness and self-worth should be two of the most important things in your life. You'll be a better person for it.