From The Girl Who Always Hated Change, Until She Didn't

Change is good, and change can be good.

289
Paul Gilmore on Unsplash

Ever since I have been younger, I have despised the idea of change. No, I don't mean dying my hair blonde or wearing different clothes, because Lord knows I don't mind that. I mean the significant type of change — graduating high school, my friends and I going to college, selling a T-shirt that used to be my favorite in 5th grade, losing old pictures and hearing old songs that remind me of such special times that cannot be repeated. That type of change.

I think I, and well, most of us, have the wrong idea of change. We often look at it as the past, memories, laughter, and the joy of a certain moment being gone. At least, I do.

I do not like to view myself as a sensitive individual. However, regarding certain things, I am. I am weird about change. For example, I probably should get a new car that is a little more practical for my adult life (ew), but I just cannot seem to get rid of my Jeep. My Jeep was my very first car. I'll never forget the day I got it when I was 16 years old. That black Jeep Wrangler has seen it all. It's been with me as I drove to my high school. It was there for me when I drove home after my first break up, and it always knows just what songs to play. It carried my first puppy home and is a great venue for a solid parked car conversation. I love that Jeep, and I love all the joy it has brought to me throughout my life. The thought of giving up that vehicle one day hurts my heart, but a 2007 Jeep Wrangler can’t last forever.

Sound familiar? If so, keep reading.

I think in some ways we all have our own black Jeep. Something we are scared to say goodbye to, something that could make us vulnerable if we lose it, and something that has truly seen everything with you. Some of you, I know, have something or someone in mind. Regardless of what you're saying goodbye to, here is my advice to you: Do not be sad, and do not be afraid.

This special memory that you have or this comfortable object you possess will always be with you. In fact, everything that has ever been special to you will never go away. It shapes you into who you are. It took me a while to realize this, however, it rings very true. Goodbyes are not always bad, in fact, “Goodbye” is just a word. A word has no power.

As humans, we are not meant to remain small. We are meant to grow. Yes, I know this article is a tad abstract, but take of it what you will. This year, allow yourself to let go, and in some cases, hang on. Change is good, and change can be good. Believe that!