Centre Women's Lacrosse Series: Andrea Wambaugh

Get to know one of the CWL senior captains.

3
Jacqueline Anderson's Facebook page

In Danville, Kentucky resides the Centre Women's Lacrosse team comprised of twenty young women. In order to get to know the members of CWL, for the next few weeks, I will be doing a series on each of my teammates.

This week features one of the team's senior captains: Andrea Wambaugh (pictured above to the left). Andrea sat down with me to answer a few questions.

DB: First, even though we are teammates, could tell me about yourself? Where are you from and why did you choose Centre?

AW: I am from Louisville originally and I chose to come to Centre after having been at two previous schools. I never felt like I really belonged at either school and everyone I came across who was a Centre student or alum spoke greatly about the friendly atmosphere. Once I came here, I felt at home pretty much immediately. It's really the best place to be and I'm in no way ready to leave.

DB: What is your year and your major at Centre?

AW: I am a senior Spanish major with a biology minor.

DB: When did you start playing lacrosse?

AW: I started playing in sixth grade.

DB: Why did you decide to continue playing in college?

AW: Ever since I was little, I wanted to play sports in college. Before lacrosse, I played softball and I always thought that would be what I went on to play in college. When I started playing lacrosse, though, I really fell in love with it and I just couldn't imagine stopping after high school.

DB: Are you happy with your decision to continue playing in college?

AW: It's the best decision I have made thus far.

DB: What is your fondest memory involving lacrosse at Centre?

AW: Last year on spring break, when we had our "Navy Seals" practice on the beach in the freezing rain. It was really miserable at the time, but, looking back, it was something we all had to suffer through together and now we can look back at that moment and laugh (or cry).

DB: Do you have any regrets?

AW: My one regret in life is not having come to Centre from the beginning.

DB: What has been the most rewarding part of being a college athlete?

AW: Being able to play a sport I love with teammates I love while also enjoying all the aspects of being a student at a liberal arts institution.

DB: What are your hopes for the team this year?

AW: I hope we can just go out for every game and give 150 percent effort for the whole game. I hope we leave it all on the field and not come to the end of 60 minutes thinking that we could have tried harder.

DB: What are you hopes for yourself this year?

AW: I hope I can be a great leader for the team on and off the field, during the highs and the lows of the season.

DB: Finally, if you could give advice to the players who follow you, what would you say?

AW: Don't take a single second for granted.

Look out for more articles on members of the Centre Women's Lacrosse team. Our next game will be our home opener on Friday at 7:00 p.m. against Albion.