How Being Multilingual Helps Your Career
Identities

Knowing Multiple Languages Can Help You In More Places Than Just The Workforce

Can knowing more than two languages help Americans in their career?

141

As a society today, we are looking at a new type of melting pot: language. Now many of you might debate the need of knowing another language but the truth is as we grow in our population, our roots get more diverse. We find that the next generation is more interested in learning about their roots, be it Irish, French, Spanish, Indian (Native or otherwise), and many others. Many of our top brand companies have job requirements set to the needs of the growing diversity. Today, even many hospitals and clinics are looking for people that also speak Spanish to better assist their patients.

As a child, I grew up in a neighborhood where I was surrounded by many Spanish speaking people. They were the friendliest people I have ever known. But, a downside was that we couldn't have a fluent conversation with them, as they felt comfortable speaking their own language. Now my parents thought that it would help if my siblings and I learned some Spanish because they could see just by the amount of diversity around us that we needed to be able to understand and speak Spanish as we are going to be working one day, and will face many Spanish speaking customers. Already being fluent in speaking four languages, I felt that adding another would just add to my list.

But that wasn't the case. From what I have learned so far, I am able to help and keep a conversation going with my neighbors and also feel good about working in a Spanish store and just knowing what the stuff on the shelves say.

But this is the case with any language you learn. It's a basic life skill that will aid you one day or another. Being fluent in a few languages can also be a resume polisher. As a friend once said to me, "Knowing 5 languages, people will really want you working for them." And he is right.

We continuously see a growing cultural factor in the world. Being able to speak another language will help us understand the cultures that surround us and appreciate them even more. Plus, it helps when you are traveling the world.