A Reminder To Enjoy The Little Things This Holiday Season

Sure it's fun to give and get gifts, but remember to take care of yourself this time of year, as well.

237

Most who know me, know that Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the pretty lights and decorations, but I also love that it often serves as a reminder to be kind to our fellow man. The world seems a little bit softer and kinder at Christmas, but I know as well as anyone that it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season as well. This is just a quick note that will hopefully serve as a reminder to stop and enjoy the little things this Christmas season.

For many, Christmas is a religious holiday to celebrate the birth of Christ. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas this way, it can still be a season to spread hope and love to your loved ones. One of the most popular ways to do this is by the giving of gifts, but let this serve as a reminder that you don't need to make yourself go broke over this. Handmade gifts or even heartfelt notes can be just as meaningful, if not more so, than something you picked out at the store.

Speaking of going to the store, we tend to go a bit overboard during the holidays as well. This includes both presents and decorations. I'd say a lot of the blame for this could be placed on a society that just wants to buy, buy, buy, but regardless, it's totally okay to take the simple route during the holidays. If you have trouble getting enough sleep, maybe don't go Black Friday shopping this year, or if you simply don't have time to get dinner cooked, the kids dressed, and Santa's village up, go easy on the decorations. Your health shouldn't have to decline simply because you're trying to provide for others. I'm sure that your loved ones would more than rather have a happy and healthy friend than a sickly one who tried to overdo it.

And while you're trying not to overdo it, one of the most constructive things you can do is take a little time for yourself every now and then. This is important to maintaining your health all throughout the year, but it's especially important to remember when you're trying to make sure that everyone else has a good holiday. For some, this may mean not spending the holidays with your family. If it's going to be detrimental to your health, find a way to spend time with those who uplift you and make you feel loved and supported. While this may be the season of giving, it's totally okay to take care of yourself as well.

To wrap this up, the last little tidbit of advice I have to give is to enjoy being in the moment. I think the hardest thing for me during the holidays is getting caught up planning ahead for Christmas parties and trying to find the perfect gift. I love these things, but sometimes it's nice just to sit and watch a Christmas movie with my best friend while we drink hot chocolate. Go out with your friends or family and look at Christmas lights. Decorate Christmas cookies. Do something that allows you to relax and enjoy the company of your loved ones because that's what Christmas is all about: spreading love and joy. So try not to destroy yourself this Christmas. Take it easy and celebrate in the best way that you can under whatever circumstances you're in… oh, and try to keep yourself off of Santa's naughty list :)