Being a Buoy

Being a Buoy

Seven Life Hacks from the Common Buoy

52
Being a Buoy

Have you ever been staring out into that beautiful blue abyss and noticed a buoy? A buoy is an anchored floating device that serves as a navigational tool for sailors. It shows boats where reefs are so they don't bottom out. They also serve as a navigational tool for people as well. Sometimes beaches will have buoys set up to show where people can/cannot swim.

I think we can all learn some deep lessons from the common buoy.

What's that? You don't think we can learn useful life skills from inanimate objects? I beg to differ. So here are seven reasons you should be more like a buoy.

1. Be grounded in something you believe in.

It is important for anyone, religious or nonreligious, to be grounded in their beliefs. You have to believe in the truth before you can live your life as a buoy. My teachers always told me "Believe in something, or you'll fall for everything." That statement is true today!

2. Don't go with the flow.

Alright, so there is a time and a place for "going with the flow." Sometimes the only thing you can do is roll with the punches. BUT there always comes a time in your life where you will have to decide to be something or do something greater than yourself. You can't just go with the flow, you have to take a stand.

3. Be secure in who you are.

You've heard this again and again, but you have to accept yourself for who you are. You can be fit or a bit pudgy, you could be blonde or brunette, you could be silly or serious. The most important part of growing up is learning to be secure in who you are. A buoy doesn't stop and worry about what the other buoys think (and that's not just because their inanimate objects and aren't capable of thought). Buoys know who they are and where they are leading people. Remember who you are and what you want to accomplish!

4. Don't let the current events drag you down.

Robert Frost said, "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." This is absolutely true. Sometimes the stock market crashes and sometimes people die. It's tragic, but it's a part of life. It's not bad to be sad for a time, but remember that you can't let the brokenness of this world drag you down. Keep pressing forward.

5. Let things wash over you:

Sometimes those bad things we just talked about will happen to you. You will lose family. You will go through financial turmoil. You will get sick. Don't let your happiness be dulled. Let the waves wash over you, but keep on keeping on. A wise member of the Marvel Universe (Blaquesmith - check him out) once said "What is...is." Let the waves wash over you, because sometimes you can't change whats happening. Sometimes you have to let it go.

6. Sometimes it's okay to just float.

People seem to be under the impression that you have to be constantly doing something to be successful. That's a bunch of lies. Sometimes it's okay that the only thing you did today was breathe. Life is hard! It's okay to relax. To quote a wise young man named Evan Fax, "I'm gonna go down to that lake and put on a life jacket and just... just float."

7. You aren't alone out there in the big blue sea.

A buoy doesn't do it's job alone. There are other buoys help boats navigate as well. There are more buoys in the sea! You aren't alone in this life! Remember that your friends and family are there with you. Maybe you can't always see them through the storm, but take hope in the fact you know they're there with you. Your friends always have your back.