"Breathless" Is The 1960s Romance Movie Of Your Dreams
Film

'Breathless' Is An Abstracted Take On Two Lovers In A Colliding Conflict Of Identity

Jean-Luc Godard's 1960 romance film is a french dream.

99
breathless title

"Breathless" is a love story between two lovers of different backgrounds, Michel, the French stud, and Patricia, the American sweetheart. The film allows the audience to feel empathy towards the passion of love the two protagonists have for each other as they gravitate towards each other and represent love in an unconditional matter. Its storytelling of their love story is almost infectious towards the audience, as they are drawn to ideal love which is what the movie portrayed throughout.

The director uses long shots of the two protagonists in recurring dialogue for around seven to ten minutes, of both characters arguing, laughing, and being romantic. This tactic was shown to allow the audience to interpret the casual relationship between people in conflict and love. Furthermore, it shows this by exposing how emotions can be bipolar at times, but if love is strong enough it won't affect them negatively. The film also has terrific lighting and music that is centered over the characters. The music was brought from a jazz-infused and classical piano movement, and it exposed the emotions of the characters perfectly. For example, Michel trying to find Patricia and Patricia driving in a car smoking a cigarette, the lighting and music together capture the emotion vividly.

An important aspect throughout the movie was the lack of color. "Breathless" was shot in black and white as it was made in the '60s, therefore its vintage picture allows the movies "romantic atmosphere" to be more enhanced from its classic love story. Furthermore, with its unsaturated hues the movie redefines the word "cliche," as in the context of when the movie was made, it seemed to redefine romantic movies in the future. It started a romantic movie genre that consists of all comedy, love, tragedy, drama, and thriller.

The movie's revolutionary take on romance was also portrayed amazingly in two specific aesthetic scenes. One scene had Michel and Patricia walking around in a circle in the same room for over ten minutes with a continuous dialogue as they walked in the same pattern for many trials. The conversation was heartfelt and touching as Michel was desperate for Patricia and it was exposed in the dialogue but executed through the movement around the room as it literally showed Michel chasing for Patricia.

Another scene that's exquisite in its aesthetic presence involves an escape run scene near the end of the movie. It's a tragic and heart-wrenching moment, as the camera panels all around the subject and it grasps the emotion that symbolizes the movie in a dramatic and manic scene. Overall, "Breathless" captures the idea of love within different cultures in gorgeous ways, with its recurring motifs in dialogue and movement, and its blissful presence of the relationship between Michel and Patricia. Breathless takes the trophy for its gorgeous representation of conflicting but everlasting love of star-crossed lovers.

9/10