A Breakup Letter To The Dress That Wasn't Meant To Be

Our relationship was perfect on the rack, but there it must stay.

120
Flickr

Dearest,

I understand why we can’t be together, but every time I walk past you, I still yearn for your presence my life. I won’t forget the way that I felt when I first saw you and the future that I saw open up before us...that I hoped we could share.

Nights out with the girls, a dinner with mom, walking across the stage at my graduation- I saw you there, and my hand reached out instinctually to confirm your reality.

That day, I walked confidently with you to find out if we were truly compatible. Off we went to the back of the building where a young lady with tired eyes greeted us and took us to our room.

We walked inside, and I sighed nervously because so many before you left me in defeat. But, this time, I was hopeful.

When I slipped you on over my head and examined what I hoped would be an exciting future together- I was left horrified.

We both knew that this had to end. The connection that we thought we had was bound to be broken as soon as I saw your true colors.

The trickery concealed in the placement of your darts was an act of deceit I knew you had used on others.

You hurt me, but I can’t look back.

Your delicate lace appliques and elegant tailoring was simply meant for another.

You left me to feel badly about myself as if I wasn’t good enough, but it’s not entirely your fault.

I had let myself go...eaten too many slices of pizza and skipped too many morning runs.

I realized that you were not meant for me and that I must continue my seemingly hopeless quest for a perfect match through the sea of racks that called out to me in voices of bright hues and light-catching sequins.

But, they will never match the way that you abruptly stopped me in my path as my vision for years of events with you became clear.

To my dear lace dress, I hope that you have found your match. Someone to wear you to the most impressive of parties and who will never send you through a wash cycle without like-colors.

I will miss you, but this is goodbye.

With love always,

Morgan