Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: Keto Edition

From the Ultimate Keto Cookbook by Brittany Angell.

18

Note: All recipes come from the cookbook listed above.

Breakfast - Savory Caprese Biscuits 

If anyone knows me, they know I love Caprese salads. So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it, and I made no mistake doing so. They are a fluffy and flavorful biscuit with a mixture of amazing flavors. You can drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the biscuits as well.

Preheat oven to 424 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, combine 2 eggs, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, then set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups lupin flour, 1/2 cup oat fiber, 1/2 cup salted butter, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp double-acting baking powder; mix until the butter forms pea-size pieces. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, then add 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Mix just until the dough starts to come together, being careful not to overmix. Add 1/2 cup baby tomatoes, halved, and 1/4 cup basil and combine.

Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Dust the parchment paper with a little of the oat fiber and transfer the dough to the counter. Top the dough with another piece of parchment. Using your hands, press down and out so that the dough becomes an even rectangle about 1/2 inches thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits from the dough. Place each biscuit on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes.

Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the biscuits with grated mozzarella. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 6 to 7 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with more chopped fresh basil if you'd like.

This recipe is definitely one of my favorite breakfast recipes this book has. Instead of filling up on sugar and sweets, this is one of the healthiest meals you could eat to start your day, and they're good for up to 1 week!

Lunch - Tequila Lime Chicken Salad with Avocado Cilantro Dressing 

I loooove salads. I normally go for a simple house salad, but this recipe was a total game-changer! There are so many different flavors, from the chicken, avocados and the hint of cilantro - you really can't go wrong with this salad.

Using a meat tenderizer, pound the 6 chicken thighs on a cutting board so that they are all about the same thickness.

To a bowl, add the chicken, 2 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp adobo seasoning blend (with salt) 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tbsp of avocado oil and 1/4 cup tequila and mix well. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or as long as overnight.

To make the dressing, combine 2 avocados (peeled and pitted), juice of 2 limes, 3 cloves of garlic, minced, 1/2 cup avocado oil, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish, 1/4 cup tequila, pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp stevia extract or monk fruit extract in a food process and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Heat up cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Once sizzling hot, add half of the chicken. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Then flip and cook the second side for another 5 to 7 minutes. Move the chicken to a cutting board. Add 2 more tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet and repeat the process with the second half of the thighs. Give the chicken 10 minutes to rest and then cut into strips for the salad.

To make the salad. add 1 bag of arugula; 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved; 1 yellow peppers, thinly sliced; 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced; and salt and pepper. Top the salad with the sliced chicken. Garnish the salad with toasted almonds and extra cilantro. Drizzle with the dressing or serve it on the side.

This is one of the best salads I have ever had, and I am a true sucker for a basic salad, but this was for real mouthwatering.

Dinner - Sesame-Crusted Salmon with Cilantro Slaw and Pineapple Mint Dressing 

I am absolutely obsessed with salmon (I can thank my trip to Alaska for that), and this is one the most amazing ways to have salmon. My roommates next year will see me cooking this all the time in the fall.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Pat the 4 salmon filets dry, season with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper and brush each side with the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Coat each filet with 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds. When the skillet is fully heated, place each filet skin-side up and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the salmon filets over and over the skillet into the oven; cook for 10 minutes.

To make the slaw, in a large bowl, toss together 1 red cabbage, chopped, 1 cups diced cucumber. 1/2 red onion, diced, 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped and 1 tbsp lime juice; set aside.

To make the dressing, add 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger; 4 large mint leaves; 2 tbsp lime juice; 2 tsp coconut aminos, liquid aminos or gluten-free soy sauce; 2 tsp pineapple extract; 1/4 cup honey; and 1 tbsp avocado oil to a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Remove the cooked salmon from the oven and let cool, 3 minutes. Top the slaw with the salmon. Drizzle the dish with your desired amount of dressing and serve.

This is such a light dish to eat during the summer and keeps you wishing there were leftovers!

3 amazing and healthy meals to get you guys started on a healthy eating routine! These recipes are so fun to cook, and you don't even know they come from a diet book!