Brain Dumping: An Essential Way of Life
Life Stages

Brain Dumping: An Essential Way of Life

One of the most beneficial practices I've learned to pick up

61
Brain Dumping: An Essential Way of Life

Let's face the facts: You've got about a billion things running through your head at this very moment, and you might not be having the best time sorting through all of it. You've probably pushed aside studying for that one exam in one side of your head while remembering to buy groceries in the other. Don't forget to call that one family member you were supposed to too!

Trust me, you're no superhuman. Even the people with the best of memory tend to find it difficult juggling all these things at once. More times than not, we also find ourselves focusing on the bad thoughts over the good, completely clouding over what it is we really need to be putting our energy towards.

This is where brain dumping comes into play. Brain dumping is "a complete transfer of accessible knowledge about a particular subject from your brain to some other storage medium, such as paper or your computer's hard drive." To put it simpler, it's getting all of your thoughts out of your head, and into somewhere else.

My favorite forms of brain dumping involve pen and paper. Others find it easier to type everything out, but I find myself enjoying the process a lot more when I hand write it. There's something about the way you take your time writing, and make your thoughts tangible when they're on a piece of paper.

Your brain dump is a to-do list/schedule/diary/journal/vent space hybrid all in one. It's super beneficial for one to practice brain dumping, especially during a very stressful point of your life (cough, FINALS).

I've recently got myself into bullet journaling and I always try to brain dump at least once a week, preferably at the start. I jot down everything that's going on in my head, good, bad, everything. I use brain dumping as a form of relaxation, therapy, or simply preparation for my week.

Customize brain dumping to your liking. Make it as simple or as complicated as you'd like. Keep it concrete, or go abstract. Regardless of how you may approach a brain dump, remind yourself that it is okay to be overwhelmed with as many thoughts as you may. We are all simply humans trying to get through our day-to-day tasks.