Book Review : Aquaman Volume 1 : The Drowning

Written by Dan Abnett , Artwork by Brad Walker, Phil Brionnes, and Scot Eaton

69
DC Entertainment

When DC announced that they would start a new chapter for all of their ongoing comics entitled Rebirth MANY fans were over the moon. Our favorite comic book heroes (and villains) would be getting a facelift for not only their artwork but their stories as well.

For me personally, Aquaman was never a comic book character I picked up immediately. And as a newfound lover of comics in general, Aquaman sparked my interests as a character I was excited to get to know. Also as I am a new reader, I decided to start with the brand new "chapter" of comics with the Rebirth marking.

As this is not Dan Abnett’s first time writing Aquaman, DC’s Rebirth now gives him the freedom to do as he wants with the character. In this first volume of Aquaman’s new story, Abnett dives right into the politics of Atlantis, as well as the relationship between Arthur and Mera, plus some Black Manta stuff for good measure.

As a first time Aquaman reader with this volume I can't say that I will actively seek out a follow up volume. Aquaman himself is funny, and enticing. The character is seemingly in depth and Abnett really took the time to fully explore everything that his characters were before writing them into this storyline. However, the storyline itself is almost set up for a reader that has been previously well versed in Aquaman’s history for the last 70 or so years.

One very high point for me in this entire volume was the artwork! The artwork is split between artists Brad Walker, Phil Brionnes, and Scot Eaton, who blend their own beautiful and unique art styles together from issue to issue very nicely. Though I went back and looked for the subtle changes and styles from artist and issue to issue, it is not completely noticeable to the average reader. This is important to me, because an issue for me when reading comics or any piece of ongoing literature is the consistency of the piece. Although it is common for different writers, and artists to all work on projects together whether it be in the same issue or alternating in the comic world, I personally find it distracting and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a distracting feature, but a welcome one in this volume of Aquaman.

Another great feature of the artwork here is the hyper colorful pages. You can see even on the cover art pictured above the bright orange and coral colors, and the many pop out shades of blue.

Also, a defining point of this volume that I do appreciate is at the end (SPOILER ALERT) where Abnett gives us a short Justice League tie in with the appearance of Superman. If you’re like me and appreciate the crossovers from comic series’ alike then you will enjoy this last issue in the volume!

Overall, I can give this volume of Aquaman 4 out of 5 stars. The artwork and colors really took the cake on this one over the storyline itself. But maybe if you’re an avid Aquaman fan, or just a super-fan of DC comics in general you will find that aspect more enticing!

Also, I would like to thank NetGally & DC Comics publishing for sending me a copy of this Trade Paperback Volume of Aquaman by Dan Abnett for review! Happy Reading :)