13 Myths About Bisexuals, Debunked

Today is Bisexuality Day and I'm more than ready to give all the bisexuals some love by breaking the stigma. I see you, I hear you, I appreciate you.

Bisexuality is a sexual orientation where people can form attraction and/or relationships to more than one gender. More than half of the LGBTQ community identifies as bisexual but it comes with a ton of bias, discrimination, and violence. And, honestly, bisexuals tend to be forgotten because bi-erasure wants to hold onto biphobia to question the existence and legitimacy of bisexuality.

Yet, bisexuality is real and valid.

Help celebrate #BiVisibilityDay by spreading awareness about these 13 bi misconceptions.

All bisexuals are either lesbian or gay.

No, every individual has their own identity and quest to understanding their own sexuality. This includes being sexually and/or romantically attracted to more than one gender.

Bisexuals have more privilege compared to other LGBTQ folk.

According to the Movement Advancement Policy, "only 20% of bisexual people said that there is a lot of social acceptance of [LGBTQ] people where they live, compared to 31% of lesbians and 39% of gay men."

Individuals who identify as bisexual are cheaters and untrustworthy.

Yeah, no. They are just people with different personalities. As a society, we have to focus less on the "sex" part of sexuality and more about the relationship.

Bisexuality is a phase.

It's not a college phase, it's a sexual identity and there is plentiful research that proves bisexuality is not a transitional period.

Bisexuality is an excuse to cheat.

Cheating is not correlated to bisexuality. Period. Are more bisexuals, on average, more open to non-monogamy? Yes, but that is agreed upon between partners.

Bisexual people will end up marrying someone of the other gender.

People who are bisexual are just trying to be cool.

Ugh, again, bisexuality is not a trend, it's an identity.

You can assume someone is gay or straight based on their current relationship.

Real simple, if you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.

Bisexual individuals have the best of both worlds because they date whoever they want.

Think before you speak. Our society is filled to the brim with homophobia, heterosexism, and general acceptance, so bisexuals are constantly fighting these battles. Plus, bisexual youth and adults "have poorer mental health and higher self-reported rates of suicidal ideation than gay, lesbian, and heterosexual youth and adults."

Bisexuality isn't real.

Although "14% of Americans felt that bisexuality was not a legitimate sexual orientation," oh boy is it.

Those who identify as bisexual can't be fulfilled when dating one gender.

Being bisexual does not mean that you want to have relations with "both a male and a female partner at all times."

Bisexuals are hypersexual.

Listen, I love me some sex, but not everyone, including all bisexuals, are sex-obsessed.

Bisexual people don't have a hard time coming out.

This general statement is just wrong. Everyone's individual experience is their own and should never be compared. However, research suggests that "only 28% of bisexual people said that all or most of the important people in their life know they are bisexual, compared to 77% of gay men and 71% of lesbians."