What Does A Rainbow Symbolize To You?

What Does A Rainbow Symbolize To You?

Yeah, rainbows are pretty and they make really cool pictures...but did you know rainbows actually symbolize something other than a few likes on Instagram? And no, it is not to follow the gold.

52

A rainbow is defined, according to Merriam-Webster, as an arch of colors formed in the sky in certain circumstances, caused by the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light by rain or other water droplets in the atmosphere.

But in the Bible, it is defined as a promise to all life on earth. After Noah built his ark and the great flood, God made a covenant with Noah. He would never destroy the world with a flood again. The Bible says the rainbow appears on the earth after the rain. Clouds did not appear before the flood but after the flood. God's beautiful design for a rainbow requires rain and clouds.

The rainbow symbolizes God's mercy and love that He has for us. So whenever you see a rainbow and snap your picture, just remember that God loves you and he is looking over you with His bow in the clouds.

"And I establish My covenant with you, and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth. And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.

And it shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud, and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh." Genesis 9:11-15