The Best Moments in 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life'

Tears. So many tears.

46

1. The opening sequence

Lorelai and Rory are back to business as usual: sipping coffee, walking the streets of Stars Hollow and referencing pop culture every other word. It’s effortless and natural and instantly transports you back into the Gilmore Girls' oasis.

2. Emily and Lorelai’s fight

Spurred by Richard’s death and Lorelai’s inability to recall a happy memory with her father, the mother-daughter duo go at it more vicious than ever before (and we’ve seen these two spat a lot). Although brutal – Emily accuses Lorelai of being indifferent to Richard’s passing – it all feels raw, authentic and in character for both.

3. The Wi-Fi password gag

The revival did a great job of placing the characters in the new age of technology. Specifically, of course, Luke, who continuously gives out the wrong Wi-Fi password to his customers, coming up with gems such as "wafflehousebutterbob."

4. Emily’s “Joy” Cleanse

I’m surely not the only one who cringed when I saw Emily Gilmore in denim. This scene, in which she decides to throw everything away "that doesn’t bring her joy,” is comical, yes, but more importantly the beginning of her character’s beautifully scripted arc in the aftermath of her husband's death. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t tear up when she says, “half of me is gone.”

5. Rory and Paris’ return to Chilton

I felt nothing but pure joy watching Paris and Rory approach the illustrious Chilton together, the place where the two matured and forged a friendship. Paris perfectly encapsulated my feelings on the moment with a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: “I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

6. Jess giving Rory advice

This was a nice change of pace, considering in the past Rory was always the one trying to “save” the troubled Jess, whereas here we get to see the roles reversed. Jess giving Rory the idea to write a book about Lorelai and herself is genius and Inception-like (a 'Gilmore Girls'within a 'Gilmore Girls').

7. Lorelai’s Wild revelation

Lorelai’s choice to trek into the woods Wild style is uncharacteristic of her, but also totally aligned with her impending midlife crisis that comes to a head at the end of the third installment. Plus, Lauren Graham delivering the line “it’s never or now” is arguably the most convincing moment I’ve ever seen in the show.

8. The final brigade

Love him or hate him, Logan and his friends definitely know how to have a good time. Watching Rory flounce around with the Life and Death Brigade for one last night is dazzling and satisfying. It’s also a perfectly temporary conclusion to her and Logan’s seemingly endless relationship.

9. Rory returning to Richard’s study

Tears. So many tears. Watching Rory roam the Gilmore household and reminisce on all of her memories there – equally good and bad – tugs on your heartstrings. However, the moment she reenters Richard’s study and envisions her grandfather working at his desk will really get you. Those two always had a heartwarming relationship, and seeing Rory honor him by writing her book at his desk is as fulfilling as it is tear-jerking.

10. Lorelai’s monologue

If Rory’s return to Richard’s study didn’t get you, Lorelai’s monologue about her best memory with her father delivered over the phone to Emily sure will. It’s an amazingly serene moment that lets all of us breathe a sigh of relief with Lorelai, who we can tell has been carrying the loss of Richard around with her for quite some time. Tears. So many tears.

11. Emily roasting the DAR

Profane Emily Gilmore is most definitely peak Emily Gilmore. In the last phase of coming to terms with her independence, she finally lets go of her ties to the DAR and the life she lived with Richard, finding peace in Nantucket. The conclusion of her narrative is, in my opinion, the most satisfying out of all the characters.

12. The Dean run-in

I’ll admit, I was never a huge fan of Dean, but I was happy to hear that he was happily married with kids and living in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Also, his reply to Rory holding up cornstarch, “pay for it this time,” made me smile.

13. The shotgun wedding

It only felt right that Lorelai and Luke have their small, simple wedding the night before the actual big day. Kirk’s décor was whimsical and over-the-top but somehow perfect. Seeing Lorelai smiling, so happy and content with her life, made me cry again (yes, I know, I cried a lot).