20 Best Holiday Songs, Ranked

20 Best Holiday Songs, Ranked

All the way from "Jingle Bells" to "Jingle Bell Rock."

247
20 Best Holiday Songs, Ranked

It's that time of year -- Thanksgiving has finally passed, making it officially socially acceptable to break out your favorite holiday playlists. There are so many great songs to get you into the holiday spirit - but which ones encompass the holiday season the best?

Heat up some hot cocoa, bring out the Christmas tree decorations, and get ready to immerse yourself in the holiday season, with these 20 best holiday songs.

20. "Carol of the Bells" - Pentatonix

Although this one has a more somber vibe to it, it's still a classic. The easily-recognizable tune paired with the cool harmonies Pentatonix adds to this rendition earns it a spot in the top 20.

19. "Here Comes Santa Claus" - Elvis Presley

Everyone knows the chorus to this memorable, upbeat tune. When this song is playing, you can practically hear the jingle bells ringing from his sleigh as he makes his way through the snowy skies.

18. "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" - Gene Autry

The song of my Christmas time childhood, this song doubles as a heartwarming story, too.

17. "Silver Bells" - Bing Crosby

"It's Christmas time in the city" and this song puts you right downtown with warm hot chocolate in hand and lights twinkling along the snow-covered streets.

16. "Hallelujah" - Pentatonix

If you haven't heard this rendition, you're missing out. I know, I know - this isn't a typical Christmas song; however, it is on their holiday album, so I'm counting it. This is a great song, but it's lack of true Christmas feeling (and distracting connection to Shrek) keeps me from placing it higher on the list.

15. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" - Bing Crosby

This cozy tune is perfect for cuddling up to your loved ones in front of a crackling fire.

14. "Jingle Bells" - Michael Bublé

A song all of us knew since the preschool Christmas concert no one's parents wanted to go to, there's no way I could put together a list of Christmas songs without this one. Michael Buble's cover offers some extra spice to this simple classic.

13. "Baby It's Cold Outside" -Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone

Although a bit tainted by some less-than-consensual implications, the (hopefully) intended, lighthearted meaning still never fails to remind me of the holidays.

12. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" - The Jackson 5

The Santa Claus anthem, responsible for both the good and the creepy (I'll pass on the whole "he sees you when you're sleeping") perceptions of this jolly gift-bringer.

11. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - Brenda Lee

This fun song is a must for all Christmas-tree decorating. This tune from all the way in 1958 is recognizable across multiple generations, and is guaranteed to put even Ebenezer Scrooge in a dancing mood.

10. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - Darlene Love

This upbeat Christmas song paired with Love's powerful voice makes this an unforgettable holiday piece.

9. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - Carpenters

This slow, warm melody is perfect for enjoying a quiet night at home, surrounded by family and really inspiring those happy Christmas feelings.

8. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" - Andy Williams

This song is our annual reminder of how great the holiday season is - as if we needed one! This song speaks the truth and reminds us of every reason why we love the holidays.

7. "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" - Burl Ives

Holly and jolly - both classic holiday images swirled into one great song.

6. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" - Johnny Mathis

This song is easily-recognizable and is perfect for getting into the holiday spirit because it's literally about getting into the holiday spirit.

5. "White Christmas" - Bing Crosby

We all want to wake up on Christmas morning to see that fresh snow had blanketed the ground while we were sleeping. White Christmases are even more magical than non-white ones, and this song really proves it.

4. "Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" - Dean Martin

The enthusiasm for this song is all in the title. I love the winter, snowy imagery that characterizes the season.

3. "The Christmas Song" - Nat King Cole

The eptiome of Chistmas songs -- it's literally called "The Christmas Song." Forever fueling my curiosity as to what chestnuts roasting on an open fire actually taste like, this song evokes tons of warm, cozy imagery which really define the holiday season

2. "All I Want For Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey

The holiday anthem of every basic millennial, Mariah's vocals slay her way to the #2 spot.

1. "Jingle Bell Rock" - Bobby Helms

Although a classic, this fast-paced 1957 hit still has a modern, lively feeling. This song is timeless, and known for a lot more than just its Mean Girls appearance. It never fails to get me in the holiday spirit.