advice in hard times

To The Person Who Needs To Take Their Own Advice

The light at the end of the tunnel is shining, what's dimming that light for me?

82
personal photo
Hayden Mitzlaff

I will forever be the friend who people go to for advice. And I am 100 percent okay with that. More than okay with that, in fact, I welcome it. There's nothing more satisfying to me than helping someone navigate their way through a tough time or providing comfort for someone in times of need.

So why is it that in my times of need, I oftentimes struggle to find someone to help me navigate through them?

It's certainly not because I don't have anyone there to help me. I have so many amazing friends who are always there for me and want to lead me through that tunnel to find the light, so why don't I let them guide me?

Sometimes, you just have to be your own leader. While having someone there to lead you out of the darkness is helpful, their directions can only take you so far. Ultimately, the only person who's going to lead you up that mountain into the light is you. You have to take the steps, you have to maneuver the obstacles, and you have to create your own path.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have hands to hold along the way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. Everyone needs help. But in the end, you got up that mountain. You found the light at the end of the tunnel. People can help open your eyes to the light throughout your journey, but you'll be the one to look into it.

The best advice I've ever given anyone is this:

"Whatever hardships you're experiencing, you had a life before them, and you will have a life after them. They are a chapter in your book. These hardships may be in future chapters of your book, but the story is not written. You are the author and you get to write your own story. Make it as interesting and wonderful as you want it to be. Don't let the hard times write it for you."

*Drops mic*

But really though! I need to take a step back and take my own advice.

There's so much value to your own words. So many times the solutions are in what you're saying. While it's important to listen to the directions given to you from other people, it's just as important to follow your own directions. Trust your instincts. Take the advice you give to others.

No matter how dark or how deep, how tall and how steep, you will make it to the top of the mountain and you will find the light. There will be obstacles and it will take some time to open your eyes, but happiness is waiting for you. It's your job to find it, no one else can find it for you.