The-Benefits-of-a-Social-Media-Detox

The Benefits Of A Social Media Detox

"I realized that I was missing out on key moments of my life simply because I was trying to capture them for other people to see."

149
The Benefits Of A Social Media Detox

When used in a positive way, social media is a powerful tool to connect people from all over the world. It provides a platform for you to express your creativity, share your important life moments, and simply connect with other people. However, it is also time-consuming and it often separates us from reality. This past week, I began to realize the amount of time I was spending on social media. I realized that I was missing out on key moments of my life simply because I was trying to capture them for other people to see.

One of my best friends had recently decided to take a social media detox. I decided to take her advice and take a step back from it all. It wasn't easy, but I deleted all of the social media apps from my phone. When I say that I immediately saw major changes in my life, I'm not being dramatic. There is something so powerful in deleting the distractions from your life that you once spent hours on each day.

One of the first changes I noticed was how I felt more connected to my surroundings. I didn't have the urge to constantly check my phone while I was going about my daily routine. I began noticing small details around me that I had passed every day, but never fully appreciated. I realized that I had been taking these things for granted. By simply putting my phone down, I had instantly become more observant. While waiting in line for coffee, I would normally grab my phone and scroll through Instagram. But, this time I was simply present. There is something truly valuable to be gained from simply being present wherever you are.

Most importantly, I began doing things just for myself. I didn't feel the need to take aesthetic photos of my coffee to share on Snapchat or take a picture of my friend at lunch. I realized that I didn't need to share every detail of my life with the world. I began capturing moments in my life simply for myself to look back on. I can't describe how refreshing it is to do something just for yourself.

I also felt removed from the trap of comparison. I believe that comparison is a detrimental effect of social media. People tend to post the "highlights" of their lives. This leads to an unhealthy image of reality and places you on the path of comparison. I too had fallen into the trap of comparison many times before. By removing myself from social media, I was able to focus on my life and didn't stop for a second to think of what others were doing.

I would recommend anyone to take a social media detox. Whether it's just for a week or an entire year, I promise you will instantly see changes in your life. I am not saying that social media is a bad thing. It is a powerful tool when it is used to spread positivity, encouragement, and connect with others. If you ever feel like you need a break, take a moment for yourself to step back. I guarantee you will not regret it and you will learn valuable lessons.