Top 7 Reasons To Take Coenzyme Q10
popular

Top 7 Reasons To Take Coenzyme Q10

Top reasons why CoQ10 is such a popular supplement and why you might consider taking it.

2112
7 Reasons To Take Coenzyme Q10

CoQ10 is one of the most thoroughly-studied nutritional supplements with plenty of clinical evidence supporting its use for many health concerns. Here are the top seven reasons why CoQ10 is such a popular supplement and why you might consider taking it.

CoQ10 is a nutrient that is found in almost every cell in your body. It helps convert food into the energy you need while also fighting damage to your body’s cells.

Not to be confused, CoQ10 is also called Coenzyme Q10 or simply Q10. Although CoQ10 is produced in the body, levels decrease with age and are generally lower in individuals with chronic diseases such as heart conditions, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson's disease, cancer, and diabetes, and CoQ10 can also become depleted as a result of using statin medications.

1. Better Circulation

Your circulatory system is responsible for delivering blood, oxygen and important nutrients throughout your body. However, poor circulation may occur in people older than age 40, who are overweight, have diabetes and don’t get much exercise. Symptoms of poor circulation include: muscles that hurt or feel weak when you walk or move, a “pins and needles” feeling on your skin, pale or slightly blue skin colour, cold fingers and/or toes, numbness, chest pain, swelling, and/or bulging veins.

Clinically, CoQ10 has been shown to improve energy production, provide antioxidant activity and help improve endothelial function (endothelial cells are found on the inside of your arteries and blood vessel walls). Supplementing with CoQ10 can also help to reduce blood platelet size, helping blood move throughout the circulatory system more efficiently.

In one review, researchers looked at the results of five small randomized controlled trials that found supplemental CoQ10 (150 to 300 mg/day) resulted in a clinically significant increase in endothelial dilation after 12 weeks.

2. High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is a condition where the pressure of the blood on arterial walls is high enough to lead to serious disease. When your blood is pushing against your blood vessel walls with a lot of force, it can weaken them. Weak blood vessels have a harder time moving blood, and high blood pressure can cause damage to your arteries over time by making them less elastic (this is what is known as “hardening” and “thickening” of the arteries).

In time, this can decrease blood flow and oxygen to the heart. Research has shown that patients with high blood pressure also have low levels of CoQ10. CoQ10 has been shown to act as a natural blood thinner, help prevent the oxidation of cholesterol from free radicals, and relax the smooth muscle in the veins which can help to support healthy blood pressure.

3. Angina

The heart is the body's most important muscle, pumping blood that delivers oxygen and important nutrients throughout the body. When the heart doesn’t get enough oxygen-rich blood, it can cause chest pain or discomfort known as angina. CoQ10 helps to enhance the production of energy in the heart muscle, helping the heart pump blood more efficiently.

4. Over 40

Your body produces CoQ10, but production begins to slow after the age of 40. In fact, some researchers believe that by the time you are in our 60's, your CoQ10 levels have dropped to 10% of what they were when you were 30. Taking a CoQ10 supplement replaces the CoQ10 that your body isn’t making enough of. In one small study, elderly individuals (over 70 years old) who took 200mg of CoQ10 per day along with selenium for four years reported an improvement in vitality, physical performance and quality of life.

5. Muscle Energy

CoQ10 is also beneficial to your muscles because it helps mitochondria (the “powerhouse” of your cells) produce a molecule known as adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP functions as the cells major energy source and drives a number of biological processes, including muscle contraction.

6. Concentration

The brain requires a steady supply of blood, oxygen and nutrients in order to do its job. Because the brain is rich in fatty acids and requires high amounts of oxygen, it is more susceptible to oxidative damage than other organs. Mitochondria are the main energy generators of brain cells. Mitochondrial function usually decreases with age, which could lead to the death of brain cells.

Additionally, poor circulation can deliver less “fuel” to your brain, which could also impact your cognitive ability. In addition to helping support healthy circulation, CoQ10 can also help reduce free radicals and compounds that contribute to cognitive decline thanks to its ability to function as a fat-soluble antioxidant.

7. Powerful Antioxidant

Have you ever wondered why antioxidants are touted as anti-aging? Free radicals occur naturally in the body, however environmental toxins (including ultraviolet light, radiation, cigarette smoking, air pollution, etc.) can increase the number of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can alter cell membranes, interact with DNA and cause cell death. The free radical theory of aging believes that free radicals break down cells over time and can lead to accelerated aging. Antioxidants are molecules that scavenge free radicals by donating an extra electron which helps to reduce free radical activity.

Because CoQ10 is a fat-soluble antioxidant, it acts as an antioxidant to the fat-soluble tissues in the body (in particular, the brain, which has the body's highest concentration of fat). If you are looking to support healthy aging, you can use a CoQ10 supplement in conjunction with a topical serum or moisturizer.

With all these incredible benefits, it’s important to make sure you’re getting the most out of your CoQ10 supplement. We recommend a softgel format taken with food containing healthy fats such as avocado or olive oil to increase absorption because CoQ10 is fat-soluble.

A typical CoQ10 dosage is 30 to 90 mg per day, taken in divided doses, but the recommended amount can be as high as 200 mg per day depending on your condition and health concerns. If you are looking to take a CoQ10 supplement, speak to your health care practitioner or talk with an expert at a knowledgeable natural health food store to find the best fit for you.

Disclaimer: The information in this article is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult your practitioner prior to taking herbs or nutritional supplements.