Why I’m So Sure Being a Teacher is What I Want to Do For the Rest of My Life

Here’s to the future

65
Alex Feehan

Ever since I was little, I have wanted to be a teacher. For as long as I can remember I have wanted to stand up in front of a classroom, teach, inspire and change a life. Even though I have always known I wanted to be a teacher doesn’t mean I haven’t had doubts about my major just like every other college student. I am now in my sophomore year at York College of Pennsylvania and I am finally starting to get into my major classes instead of just general education ones that everybody has to take. I was really excited, but also very nervous about starting my journey into my major classes, especially one, education technology.

Over the summer I was so nervous to come back to school because I knew I would have to face my fear of going to field experience. This is when college students go into elementary schools, middle schools or high schools to observe a classroom, interact with a teacher in your subject of choice and even do a little demonstration in front of the class. I have very bad anxiety when it comes to meeting new people and going to a new place so when I found out that in this class I would have to go into a high school classroom, meet a teacher and do a demonstration for the students, I’ll be honest it freaked me out a lot. When school started I was so happy when I found out we didn’t have to go right away, that it would be a little bit before we got placed in a school and got a host teacher. I knew this would give me time to prepare myself for what was to come.

I felt awful that I was this nervous because I started to think if I’m this nervous about just going in to observe a few classes and doing some demos, how am I ever going to be a teacher? Is this the right career for me? I was afraid that because I was nervous about going into a classroom for the first time that it would mean I was going to be a bad teacher. This had me very scared the first month of school. I had wanted to be a teacher for so long, I didn’t want to give up on it and I definitely didn’t want it to end up being the wrong career for me.

I went to field experience for the first time last week and I can honestly say that I definitely did not pick the wrong career choice. I have been to the classroom twice so far and I am loving every second of it. The minute I got to the high school I realized that I had absolutely nothing to be nervous about. My teacher is incredibly nice and answers any and all questions I have. The students are very nice too and overall the atmosphere in the two separate classes are amazing. I enjoy watching the teaching methods she uses and what techniques she uses to keep her student’s attention. I’m also fascinated by how much technology has evolved in the classroom since I graduated high school. It is so cool to be on the other side now, not being the student, but seeing the classroom from a teacher’s perspective. It has made me notice things I never noticed when I was in high school. It’s an experience like no other.

I am so happy that I didn’t let fear turn me away from my major. I put my anxiety behind me, went to my field experience and ended up loving it so far. I have not done my demonstration yet, but I can’t wait to get the chance to and see how it unfolds. I’m more excited than nervous now and I’m so grateful for that. The feeling I get when I’m in that classroom is like no other. I can’t explain it, it’s like somehow I just know that this is what I want to do with my life. I still want nothing more than to teach, inspire and change a life.