How to Be Motivated

If You Can't seem To Find Motivation Use these 6 tips to light that fire inside

Sometimes, we all need a little kick in the rear end.

96

Have you ever found yourself just waking up and doing something? You know what I mean. It basically feels like those old, Disney channels movies where the character does a back handspring out of bed and attack the day.

Can't think of a day like that? Yes, you can.

Imagine waking up on a day that is special to you. It's like Christmas morning or the first day of school.

You know what I mean now. You don't think about doing...you just do. Now, contrast that with one of those days where you said to yourself "I'll do that later"? Or "I need to do that, soon." or "I'll start that next week."

The difference lies in our motivation, and motivation is not static. IT CHANGES. Now, we all have lived enough to know it changes for many reasons. For example, getting out of bed on your birthday is probably way easier for most of us than getting up on a rainy dark morning to tackle a task we don't really enjoy. This is because we assign different meaning to different things, therefore our motivation level is going to vary. Getting up to do laundry or order books for the upcoming semester is not the same as waking up to go to that concert or show we have been waiting for months to see!

We gain our motivation from the things that matter to us.

Sometimes, we need to listen to that inner voice that says "take it easy". Sometimes though, we just need to get shit done. There are going to be times that what we accomplish now, sets us up for later, and friends... there is always a later. On those days where I just need an extra kick, I've found certain things can help me find the drive that I need to get things done.

So here are 6 tips you may want to check out when you are looking for some motivation to get started on those tougher more mundane days or tasks:

1. Listen to a podcast.

www.lingholic.com

NERD ALERT! But in all seriousness, finding the right podcast is like finding the right book. You will get sucked in and won't be able to stop listening. (Also, there is something for EVERYBODY!) Here are a few of my favorites:

• The Model Health Show
  • The Chalene Show
  • RISE podcast - Rachel Hollis

2. Take the time to read a self-help book.

lh5.googleusercontent.com

I can already hear you laughing at me. Bet you didn't think you'd be reading about the #geeklife huh? Phones and computers can be fun, but our brains sometimes need the break from "trying" to multitask and just focus on one thing. Self-help books - or really any motivational book - may steer your thoughts to another perspective which may be all that you need. Here are a few of my go-to books:

• You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
  • #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

3. Hop on to Pinterest

getstencil.com

Okay, Instagram and Twitter are cool….but have you ever just taken the time to scroll through a Pinterest Board?? It's inspo-central. You'll thank me (or hate me after you waste most of your day on it) later.

4. TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE

img.buzzfeed.com

I am cliche, I know I am sorry. But often, Just moving your body can clear up any fog trapped in your head. This doesn't mean go bust yourself in a workout. Taking the time to enjoy movement and nature outside may be the solution to getting task done. Sometimes, it's the most simplest things that clears our mind.

5. Go run any type of errand (Yes Target and TJMaxx count)

media.giphy.com

Accomplish, something! ANYTHING can leave you wanting more accomplishment. Grab the keys and go to Target. You may not need anything but I bet you'll feel better after.

6. And if none of these tips are helping, go to sleep

media.tenor.com

As I mentioned, sometimes we just need to stop forcing ourselves and give our mind the rest it needs. Put on some extra comfy pajamas and snuggle under the comforter. Sleep is healing my friends.