It's healthy to be emotional

We Need To Talk About Our Emotions, They Aren't A Sign Of Weakness

Emotions can be difficult to navigate, especially when you're sensitive.

467
Walt Disney World Photo Pass

Emotions. We all have them, but they are so strange! They can come from nowhere like an explosion or they can build up slowly over time without us even recognizing them. Some of us are extra sensitive, and others of us have a difficult time feeling others' emotions let alone our own.

Personally, I fall into the extra sensitive category. I've always been a person who feels everything. And I mean everything. I hate watching swordplay on TV because whenever a person gets cut, I feel their pain. Literally, I feel the pain from their cut on my own body (that's probably really weird to hear...but ask my fiancé, it's true).

"Inside Out" is one of my favorite movies not only because the emotions are just adorable but because it so accurately depicts what happens when a person becomes more sensitive to a certain emotion. When the main character Riley moves away from her friends, she loses her sense of self and falls into what I see as a state of depression. Her "Sadness" emotion is taking control because Riley doesn't know what else to feel. Sadness is more prone to being active because of the situation she's in, but no one can see that because it's all happening inside her head (seriously, what an insightful kids' movie).

It's strange that we can feel things so deeply yet others have no idea what we're going through.

I guess we don't really know how others feel until we talk to them. Say I was a cashier at Target (arguably the best store) and exploded on a customer for taking a long time. What the customer wouldn't know is that earlier in the day I had a fight with my roommate which made me more prone to getting upset over something "small."

I do my best to give people the shadow of a doubt at all times. Even if I'm hurt they lashed out at me, I don't know if they've been going through something really difficult.

We are all responsible for our own emotions and how we react, but we are not responsible for others' emotions or how they respond.

Being emotionally sensitive, I always want to take other people into consideration because that's what I would want. It's difficult for me to remember that I can't control how other people react even when I've done all I can to accommodate their emotional needs. I have to remind myself of this every day because if I get caught up in trying to please every person, I wouldn't have a life.

I do wish other people would consider my feelings sometimes. Maybe they are doing their best and I don't recognize it -- I have no idea because I don't know what they're thinking or going through.

I wish I wasn't so sensitive that I get hurt by a small comment. Like Riley from "Inside Out," there are parts of my past that are scarred and leave me more prone to being hurt easily. I can do my best to manage this, but I can only do so much.

I wish I wasn't so sensitive. Period. End of story.

This world wasn't made for emotional people, especially in our society where if we show any emotion we get called "snowflakes." However difficult and frustrating it may be at times, being emotionally sensitive isn't a bad thing. I try to see it as a strength because there is so much power in empathy.

This world needs all of us empathetic and sensitive people. Don't discount yourself just because you might cry more or feel emotions stronger than others. You are important, and the world needs you. Go out and show the world your kindness.