Before You Choose A School 1,000 Miles Out-Of-State Or More, Know This

It's a decision that will change your life, literally.

2049
Max Pixel Free

The idea of moving across the country to an unknown place, where you know no one, can sound intimidating. When I first got to Arizona I was in shock for weeks that I actually did it, honestly, I'm still shocked. I just knew that if I stayed home in Florida, I would always wonder what if.

I knew I would attend an in-state school and spend my days dreaming about what it would be like if I took the chance.

But coming here wasn't some spontaneous decision to throw around money.

If you're looking to go out-of-state just for the heck of it, think twice. Out-of-state requires travel expenses, time differences and higher tuition. Before I came here, my parents sat me down — quite often actually, and told me I was choosing between two very different lifestyles.

If I went in-state, I would graduate debt-free, have the opportunity to join a sorority, have a car, come home whenever I pleased and go in knowing people.

On the other hand, going out-of-state would guarantee graduating with debt, putting greek life and partying aside, selling my car and knowing absolutely no one.

It was a no-brainer.

For anyone looking to move out-of-state, really think it through. Maybe things are different for you and you'll be able to graduate debt-free and party all the time, but just remember what college is all about.

Yes, college is an "experience" where you meet new people and go on new adventures, butthe goal of college is to get a degree. You are going to get a career and excel in something you're passionate about.

So, invest in yourself, and don't leave yourself wondering what if...