Before You Criticize Yourself, Think About This

We are our own worst critics, and that needs to stop.

25
Gainesville Scene

Start with forgiveness.

Humans are in no shape or form perfect. We make mistakes. We have all done things that we aren’t proud of. Everybody has a chapter they don’t read aloud. Be humble to see your mistakes, courageous enough to admit them and wise to correct them.

Forgiveness is not always easy; at times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered to forgive yourself. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness. I think that if God forgives us, we must forgive ourselves. Otherwise, it is almost like setting up ourselves as a higher tribunal than Him.

Accept what you can’t change.

Stop thinking that you are going to get closure. Quit telling yourself that you will get an apology. You have to let it go because if you don’t, it will consume you. The more you hold onto the past and the things you can’t control, the unhappier you will be.

The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are. See things for what it is, not what you want it to be. You can’t lose what you never had, you can’t keep what’s not yours and you can’t hold on to something that doesn’t want to stay. If you can change an aspect of you life, go and change it, but you’ll go crazy trying to control something that can’t be changed.

Remember your worth.

You aren’t just of value just because someone loves you. You don’t lack value when someone rejects you. Quit being overly critical of yourself. You are beautifully flawed. It’s easy to feel uncared for when people aren’t able to communicate and connect with you in the way you need. And it’s so hard not to internalize that silence as a reflection of your worth. But the truth is that the way other people operate is not about you.

Despite what you feel, you are not too much. You are not too sensitive or too needy. You are thoughtful and empathetic. You are compassionate and kind. And, with or without anyone’s acknowledgement, you are enough.

Love who loves you.

I know that there are people in your life, who would do anything for you if you asked. Use them as a template for how everyone else should treat you and don’t you dare lower that standard. Don’t be afraid to be the one who loves the most.

I believe that God put us on this earth to do one simple task. LOVE. He wants us to love one another. God loves us so much! So love your neighbor, love the stranger you met in line, love the stray cat. You deserve to be loved by others, but you also deserve to be loved by yourself.

Life is going to be OK.

It’s time to just be happy. Being sad, angry and overthinking isn’t worth it anymore. Just let things flow. Be positive. You are under no obligation to be the same person you were a year, month or even 15 minutes ago. You have the right to grow. You deserve to be happy. So just do it, be happy! Everything will work out. It will all be OK.