5 Tips To Beat Stress During The Toughest Part Of The Year

This year, work extra hard to protect your mental health and remember to put yourself first

8

With finals around the corner and the holiday season approaching, it seems that stress is everywhere. In response to this increased stress, many people begin to face setbacks in their mental health. During finals season, it is important to remember that your mental wellbeing is far more important than your test grades. This year, work extra hard to protect your mental health and remember to put yourself first. Remind yourself that it's okay to take breaks and allow yourself time to relax in the midst of your exams. Your overall health should not be compromised during finals season.

1. Create a Game Plan

Girl Reading a Book

https://unsplash.com/photos/WWD93Icc30Y

Finals season instantly becomes more stressful if we are lacking a plan of attack. If you are the type of person who waits until the last minute to plan out your studying, take the initiative this year and create a game plan. One of the best ways to do this is to write down all of your assignments so that you can prioritize those that require the most time and effort. This way you can visually see all of the tasks you need to complete, and the order in which you will tackle them.

2. Sleep Still Matters

A Girl Sleeping

https://unsplash.com/photos/rUc9hVE-L-E

When we are under pressure and stress, one of the first things to go is our sleep schedule. We often think that by pulling all-nighters, we will be more productive. However, if we miss out on sleep our mental wellbeing is likely to decline. To prevent this from happening, set a time for every night that you will stop your studying and go to bed. This will make sure that you are well-rested for whatever you need to accomplish the following day.

3. Eat Well

People Eating Brunch

https://unsplash.com/photos/y3aP9oo9Pjc

In addition to losing sleep, we tend to reach for junk food when we are stressed. During finals season, your body needs more healthy foods than ever to avoid sickness and perform well on your exams. Make sure you are eating foods that are beneficial for your health and that will give you the fuel you need. It is also important to make sure you don't skip meals during final season and that you make time in your day to eat.

4. Take Time for Yourself

Girl Meditating on a Mountain

https://unsplash.com/photos/D8XCVSn5L1I

While it's important to stay on top of things during finals, it's also important to make time for yourself. We often get so wrapped up in assignments and exams that we forget to allow ourselves to rest. Even if it's only thirty minutes a day, make time to do something you enjoy. Whether that be exercising, reading a book, doing yoga, etc., find something that makes you feel relaxed. Taking time for yourself is the best way to find balance throughout all of the stress and pressure that finals season brings.

5. Do Your Best, But Don't Aim for Perfection

Students Studying at a Table

https://unsplash.com/photos/omeaHbEFlN4

We are our toughest critic. There is no one else that places more pressure on us than we do to ourselves. During finals, make sure you are aiming to do your best, and not striving for perfectionism. If you aim for perfectionism, you are placing unnecessary stress and pressure upon yourself. Do the best you can with the time and skills you have.

Let this be the year that you prioritize your mental wellbeing while doing your best on your final exams. It is easy for us to put our exams first over our own personal needs. While it's important to perform well on your exams and study hard, it's also important to make sure you don't get lost in the midst of it all. Finals season is a stressful time for everyone. By following these easy tips, you will be well on your way to staying healthy and happy during this finals season.