Dear Baylor Class Of '22

Dear Baylor Class Of '22

Welcome to the Baylor Family!

175
Dear Baylor Class Of '22
Brayley Payne

Dear Class of 2022,

We are so excited to have you here! I know how most of you are feeling right now; senioritis has kicked in and you just want to be in college. I remember the feeling vividly, but I still want to encourage all of you to enjoy these last few months before your whole life changes with college. Whether you’re scared, excited, or both, we seriously cannot wait to have you on campus.

I want to start off with some joking (but helpful) tips. Check the weather before you leave your dorm in the mornings, trust me. I never want you to suffer the embarrassment that I did sprinting through the pouring rain from Morrison to Penland.

The Dirty Third can be pretty gross, but if you live there, enjoy it because it truly is a special place. Wherever you live, make friends with the people around you, leave your door open that first week, and introduce yourself. Everyone is scared in the first few weeks, but making a few friends helps the transition.

Get involved in something. Joining a club can give you something to do, and help you adjust to the craziness of your new schedule. I promote joining a sorority, or fraternity if it’s in your budget. Although Baylor rushes in the spring semester, attending mixers can help you meet other people that are also rushing, as well as super cool upperclassmen that want you to join their sorority or fraternity. I’m biased, so #thinktheta!

I also encourage branching out, in activities other than Greek life. I’m sure you’ve heard by now how many clubs and organizations Baylor has, and each of them is amazing. I’m also biased to Mock Trial. #rushBUMT

On a more serious note, the adjustment to college life can be difficult, and being homesick is a real struggle. However, through that uneasy feeling of missing your parents and pets, I urge all of you to seek comfort in your new friends on campus. Everyone is going through the same thing.

Being organized will be a necessity when it comes to college. I recommend buying a planner or using an online version, to mark when you have tests. I’m also an advocate for scheduled naps (you’ll understand soon enough).

Freshman year, in my opinion, is one of the biggest adjustments you’ll ever experience. But enjoy it, because it is so fun! You’ll grow more than you knew possible, and I have full confidence that you will all start to find yourselves in Christ and fall in love with this school.

We are so excited to have y’all on campus in August. Sic ‘Em BU ’22.

P.S. Good luck running the line.

bjp