do basic college things

If You Think You're 'Too Cool' You Probably Aren't, But I Can Assure You That You Are Missing Out

I'm sick and tired of people missing out on fun things because of their ego.

76
Summer Ney

For some reason, today's youth culture revolves around the idea that it is unacceptable to show emotion. From playing aloof with members of opposite sex to acting like we don't need help when we actually do, we rarely ever want to let the world know we have weaknesses.

A big trend that has taken hold because of this is that people don't go to events because they are "too cliche."

In high school, my biggest pet peeve was when one of my friends would use "just because everyone else goes doesn't mean I need to" or "this event is way over-hyped, let's go bowling or something instead" to get out of going to a school dance, game, or function.

I would try everything to get them to go because I wanted to experience the biggest moments of high school with my closest friends. You can go bowling or sit at home literally any other night. I just could never figure out why anyone would want to miss out on some of the biggest parts of high school to sit at home and watch TV.

Then, in college, I saw some of my really good friends let similar experiences slip away from them by sitting in their dorms rather than going out to the lobby or to events to meet new people.

I'm not saying you have to go off the rails or rage every night in college, that isn't my point at all. However, you definitely should go out and experience the things that make your school what it is. KU wouldn't have the fun culture that it does without the occasional slice of Wheel pizza, tailgating on Campanile Hill or at the Oread, basketball camping, or all of the other fun things that make our school unique.

All in all, it's definitely a better use of your time than laying in bed watching Netflix all evening.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are never "too cool" to get out there and enjoy life and make memories that will last a lifetime. You never know who you might meet or the fun adventures you and your friends might end up having.

I also couldn't write this article without saying a big thank you to my friends - high school and college - that are and have always been down for adventures. A night out with you all is never boring and you make even the most mundane activities like a trip to the library interesting. Thanks for helping me create some of my best memories!

Go out, and be cliche for a moment. Do something "basic," because chances are it's basic for a reason... people love it.