Barbie's New Shapes: Mattel Gives Barbie A More Relatable Look

Barbie is about to become better than ever.

22
static01.nyt.com

Barbie is about to become a little more relatable. Recently Mattel (the maker of Barbie) announced that Barbie would come in three new body types, different skin tones, and hairstyles. Barbie's new body types will be tall, petite, and curvy. For a long time, Barbie has been criticized for its unrealistic figure. Mattel is trying to change that.

The media has a knack for putting bodies that are unattainable into the public eye. Even the models themselves usually don't have the bodies that we see in magazines, as Photoshop is an amazing and dangerous tool. Mattel is taking a big risk by creating a body that is realistic. Young girls often see the "Barbie image" as the ultimate sign of female beauty- so what will they think of Barbie's new shape?

The answer lies in the words of the "test subjects" for these new Barbie dolls. In test rooms, when it comes to "curvy Barbie," the young girls have been tough critics. "She's a little chubby" or the even more blunt, " She's fat" are just a few words that have been exchanged by the young girls about curvy Barbie. There is often frustration when trying to put "petite Barbie" clothes on "curvy Barbie." Perhaps this is a tough pill to swallow for young girls- but it is an important realization to come to. The new Barbie bodies are a reminder that not all people come in one size, and not everything that fits one person will fit another. Mattel plans to put a new line of clothes that correspond with the new Barbie shapes.

It is evident from hearing the reactions of young girls that the Mattel direction is going in is an important one. Children are already conditioned to believe that any doll that is different from the original Barbie has an "unwanted" figure. It seems that mothers are on board with the new direction that Mattel is taking. Some even think that Barbie could have been made curvier. (Agreed!)

Body image can make or break a young girl. The media often goes about their business without realizing the potentially detrimental effect that their advertisements have on young people. Mattel is taking a step that could either destroy them, or make Barbie even more popular than it has been. Thank you Mattel, for recognizing that all bodies are beautiful bodies.