Ban Bossy Campaign

Ban Bossy Campaign

19

It's been all over Facebook, Twitter, and even attached to Beyonce's picture.. which is quite honestly why I became interested."Ban Bossy" was something that really intrigued me, so I did some research to see what all the buzz was about.  A lot of research has been done that essentially says girls start to lose self esteem as early as elementary school because they fear that people will think they're "bossy".   

It's been all over Facebook, Twitter and even attached to Beyonce's picture which is, quite honestly, why I became interested.

"Ban bossy" was something that really intrigued me, so I did some research to see what all the buzz was about.  There has been a lot of research that essentially says girls start to lose self esteem as early as elementary school because they fear that people will think they're bossy. 

Their argument is that when boys are assertive and take action, they're defined as leaders whereas, if a girl does the same thing, she's defined as bossy.  

Let me just say that I'm in no way a die-hard feminist who says that girls are going to take over the world because we're awesome, but I do believe in equality. Society is a messed up place if we've set up our environment so that an eight year old girl doesn't want to raise her hand because she's scared she'll be ridiculed by the boys.  

This doesn't stop after school. Even in the workplace, women are starting to take bigger roles and sometimes they're defined as too aggressive. Why can't everyone just quit labeling each other and do the work they're supposed to do?

Younger girls are turning more and more to the media to determine what they should look like, how they should act, what they should say and everything in between. If a message like "ban bossy" encourages girls to speak up like their boy classmates, then we're doing something right!

Next year, I'll be going to law school where there will, most likely, be a close split between men and women. It's crazy to think that years ago, women weren't lawyers because that's just how the world worked. Women weren't CEOs, women weren't in large leadership roles, but over the years, things have been changing. We've shifted away from the housewife only stereotype, which means we're moving to a more equal adult society. 

There's nothing wrong with being a housewife, or whatever you call it, because the world wouldn't survive without them! One day, I can't wait to be a stay at home mom to my awesome kids. But that's in a very long time and I shouldn't even be talking about that.

Anyways, I think the "Ban Bossy" campaign is one that people should really try to adopt in their lives. Now, this doesn't mean go be as aggressive as you can and then be surprised when people ridicule you. Balance is a good thing. But, not being hesitant to take a leadership role is a good thing!

It's easy to do in your sorority because there aren't guys to compete with, if that's even the right word. Apply this to the classroom. Have a group project? Take the lead and email the group first. To be honest, your other group members will be probably be happy that someone else is taking initiative, especially if they're seniors.

If Beyonce is supporting the cause, then there's no question you should be as well. Queen B is always right.

Www.banbossy.com has a ton of information about the campaign and interesting facts that led up to this campaign. Check it out!