Awkwardly Social | The Odyssey Online

Awkwardly Social

The silver linings to being awkward are priceless.

12
Awkwardly Social

For quite sometime I’ve considered myself to be awkward. In middle school I convinced myself that it was an insecurity thing, but once everyone (but me) started growing out of their “awkward middle school phase,” I realized that it was definitely not an insecurity. I was, and still am, incredibly awkward.

Don’t get me wrong. I love this about me! Perhaps it’s because i’ve learned to accept this trait or perhaps it’s because I've seen the perks of being awkward and now use it to my advantage. Be optimistic! The silver linings to being awkward are priceless!

People will never consider you to be mean.

Regardless of whether you trash talk someone or give them mean looks, people will most likely never take you seriously. They will still see you as this sweetheart that can never step out of line. It’s actually quite useful when you want to release your anger.

You can be goofy.

I dread seeing people in the hallway. The 1v1 game has always been a personal struggle for me. It never gets easier. In midst of anxiously contemplating whether I should wave, smile, or simply ignore them, I end up running into them. As I sheepishly apologize, I tiptoe out of the way with a smirk on my face attempting to convince them that I did it on purpose.

People will be more comfortable around you.

I am very insecure about the way I speak. More often than not, I mesh my words together or stumble on them. Sometimes I deliberately talk slower to lessen my chances of embarrassing myself, but lately I’ve been indulging in the bitter-sweetness of coffee. Not surprisingly, caffeine does not enhance my speech. As I make a fool out of myself spitting out words, not finishing my sentences, and creating new words, I am consciously hoping that others will reciprocate my awkwardness. That’s right. It is pretty common for me to purposely be awkward in hopes that others will be more comfortable with me. Up until now, me being a tad bit quirky has the intention to draw the weirdness out of people. (Honestly this mindset may be completely wrong. Maybe being awkward has no perks, and i’m just being obnoxiously optimistic)

You can make yourself laugh.

When I trip up the stairs, I am the first one to laugh. When I excitedly tell the barista, “You too!” after they tell me to enjoy my drink, I imagine how often people have also made that mistake. People are not always going to witness your awkwardness, but you will always have yourself to cringe at how embarrassing you are. In public being awkward is frowned upon, but if no one is around watching then your goofiness can be so refreshing! Crack yourself up: dance like a fool, sing terribly, talk in a horrible French accent. It is so easy.

You bring out the best in others.

Since I am incredibly awkward I find a lot of joy in focusing on other people. Complimenting others, attempting to make people laugh, and asking A LOT of questions are things that are right up my alley. People like attention, and I like giving it to them. Listening is such an eye opening skill. The lessons can be touching, unique, and extremely raw unlike the material taught in a classroom setting.

All things considered, I definitely have to make a conscious realization that being awkward is the equivalent of being human. In attempts to make first impressions or act professional, being socially awkward can be highly unfortunate; however, it can also lead to laugh-worthy memories.

I hope others can relate to these fun-filled situations.

Have an awesome day!