7 Reasons Why Attending A Small College Is Like Being In A Group Chat

You complain, but secretly you love it.

73
Edutopia.com

Every group chat is different, and so is every college campus. Thankfully, internet communication and attending a small school have a few similarities, which helps make sense of it all.

1. There is no escape.

There's a good chance that your school not only has a small population but also a small campus, so you're pretty much stuck with the same people wether you want to be or not, and the same goes for a group chat. You can run, but you can't hide.

Turn off notifications. Leave the group chat. Graduate from the school.

It does not matter, because...

2. They will find you.

There is no such thing as "avoiding people" when you go to a small school, and we all know that it is humanly impossible to evade the dark powers of group chats.

The guy you had an awkward conversation with and the group message for weekend plans will inevitably find you.

Speaking of which...

3. You always wonder what is going on.

Whether you're making plans with friends via group chat or attempting to keep up with campus traditions and activities, you're usually left wondering what exactly is happening.

"Wait. Who messaged me in the chat? Where are we meeting? Why is there a large group of people on the Campus Quad?" - Forever a mystery.

4. No one outside the group really understands.

Don't even bother trying to explain to outsiders why you and your friends only message in emoji or why your school hosts a milk-themed party every year.

Sometimes it is better not to ask.

5. The community is real.

A defining feature of small campuses is that everyone knows everyone - a fact you begrudgingly learn to appreciate. Okay, so there's nothing "private" about your private school or small college, but usually friends and strangers will use that to lend a helping hand and put a smile on your face.

Anyone who has fallen prey to long-term group messaging knows that, while the other chat members know everything about you and will roast you until the cows come home, they are also like a quirky, confused, slightly insane family whom you will love forever.

6. The notifications are endless.

Heaven forbid you mute your group chat and think that you won't return to 100 unread messages. And if you believe that you can go a day without your school emailing you about dinning hall changes or a guest speaker or the spotting of some pretty flowers on the Quad, you are so wrong.

7. Love it or hate it, someone is always there.

Sure, you might wake up in the middle of the night because your phone is buzzing with cat gifs, or your roommate came back late and needs to chat, but when you're looking for a friend, all you have to do is ask. Half the school will come running.

(Of course, you only have an average population of 20 people on a good day, but still...)

No matter the day or the hour, your group chat and your small college will be there for you.